Hondo's Bar

Eisner to Quit

Silent Bob

From IMDb:

Michael Eisner has informed the Disney board of directors that he intends to step down as chief executive in Sept. 2006, when his current contract expires, the Wall Street Journal reported today (Friday). "It has been a fantastic Disney ride for the past 20 years," he wrote. "Ups and downs to be sure, but filled with great satisfaction in building this wonderful creator of classic American culture into one of the premiere entertainment-oriented companies in the world." Much of Eisner's letter reads like a pep-talk, and it ends, "I can only conclude by telling you what I am doing next 'I'm going to Disneyland!'" There was no immediate comment from Roy Disney and Stanley Gold, the former Disney board members who have been leading a battle to oust Eisner. However, the New York Post quoted Disney, the 74-year-old nephew of the company founder, as saying on Thursday, before word of the Eisner letter was disclosed, that "we will definitely continue in our battle" to remove him. "We believe he's doing an awful job. ... and we wouldn't be in this battle if we didn't think we can win it." In an interview with the Journal, Eisner maintained that the Disney-Gold campaign and other controversial issues affecting the company played no role in his decision to step down. He said that his purpose in announcing his retirement two years in advance was to ensure that "there will be a comfortable period of succession." He repeated his belief that Disney President Robert Iger would make "a worthy successor" but he added that the final decision on that score rests with the board.

Archived