Hondo's Bar

eMOTIVe - New "A Perfect Circle" CD

Reverend Jax

B000641ZIQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Little over 13 months after their previous CD, the sophmore "Thirtheenth Step", A Perfect Circle will release it's third full length disc on Election Day, November 2nd (I've already downloaded and listened to it), called eMOTIVe.

It's something different from any A Perfect Circle or Tool disc. It's a collection almost entirely composed of anti-war song covers. 10 covers, 1 remake of a previous APC song, and 1 new song. Covering songs by John Lennon, Joni Mitchell, Marvin Gaye, Black Flag, Elvis Costello, Memphis Minnie, and Devo and a few others. Aclectic (sp?) to say the least. James Maynard Keenan is usually not as straight forward as this (War is Bad!). Usually, his songs are more subtle, complex and layered, but this is totally balls out anti-war. I liek the remake because it's a remake of The Package, my favorite song off their last album. It's called 'Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums'.

So if you've ever wondered what Imagine or What's Going On would sound liek if they were goth prog songs, well, now you'll have the oppurtunity to find out.

I don't know. I found a list of some of the bands they covered and I have the songs,a nd I know which is the remake adn which is the new one, and I know some of them obviously (Imagine, What's Going On, What's So Funny Bout Peace Love And Understanding) but the others I didn't know.

Here's the song list with the info I know in parathesis:

1. Annihilation (cover, some obscure 80's metal band)

2. Imagine (John Lennon)

3. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding (written by Nick Cove, made famous by Elvis Costello)

4. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums (remake of The Package)

5. What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)

6. When The Levee Breaks (originally recorded by Memphis Minnie, made famous by Led Zeppelin)

7. Freedom Of Choice (cover)

8. People Are People (cover)

9. Passive (new original song)

10. Gimme Gimme Gimme (cover)

11. Let's Have A War (cover)

12. Fiddle And The Drum (Joni Mitchell)

Gimme Gimme Gimme sounds like it could be a Devo song, and Let's Have A War could be the Black Flag one, but I just don't know.

Archived