Hondo's Bar

Bruce Springsteen vs. John Mellencamp

MusicManiac

Who do you like better and why?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So who’s the better American Music Storyteller?

Is Mellencamp more relevant and or better then Bruce? Is Bruce beyond a Mellencamp comparison?

Here’s my breakdown… (no one's gonna read it anyway so here goes...)

Bruce's live shows put him in a stratosphere where not many would ever tremble. His style as one of the most prolific American songwriters, singers and muscians is unparalled... but I honestly believe that Scarecrow is of the best American rock and roll albums to be EVER released. Listen to it from beginning to end...it is a masterpiece with meaning, spirit, feeling and heart.Bruce's artistic style is so deep and mind provoking accompanied by classic rocker guitar skills that are rich with melody and meaning.

Though the comparison has often been applied to him unfairly, it's fair to say that Scarecrow is to John Cougar Mellencamp what Born in the U.S.A. is to Bruce Springsteen: as Randy Silver, music columnist points out- These albums solidified both fan bases and critical reputation for both artists.. The one important difference is that U.S.A.'s message was largely misinterpreted (Ronald Reagan co-opted the title song in a manner that's tragically ironic), while Scarecrow's ode to Mellencamp's native Indiana comes through loud and clear.

In my opinion a songwriter's personality can only be examined after the initial interest is captured through the song(s). If the music in engaging and you like it enough, it obvious to assume that further interest in the artist(s) himself would be explored.

brucespringsteen200303_3.jpg

Certain artists such as Springsteen play upon originality and personality as a real integral part of his overall musical appeal. As for personality, Springsteen is an excellent reference where the embodiment of the person and the songs he writes are one and the same. Springsteen's style comes from Springsteen-himself.

I think its fair to say that writers who fall far short of the standards of beauty and personality write many of world’s greatest songs.

As far as John Mellencamp is concerned. Perhaps no other American Rock solo performer, with the possible exception of Bruce Springsteen, has been more enduring or prolific. Twenty-five years after the release of his first album, when he was known as Johnny Cougar, he's still recording chart-topping music. Only a handful of other artists in history have been able to achieve such long-term success.

mellencamp1.jpg

His music style (both acoustic and electric) and writing embody American music with depth and harmony. Throughout his career, Mellencamp has had to fight, whether it was for the right to record under his own name or for respect as an artist. John Cougar Mellencamp has grown a great deal since his early days of being accused of imitating styles by Bruce Springsteen and Bob Seger. This, in my opinion - allows Mellencamp to unveil a tremendous amount of melodic ingenuity, guitar chord goodness and arrangements that are about a million times more inspired than on his previous records.

Yes, like true American rockers- he's still just using a guitar, bass, drums setup (thank god) Mellencamp's songs grow and build, and have different lead guitar parts during different sections, as well as crisp and high mixing of the drums accompanied by rich bass lines.

(I know it's easy to miss, but check out stuff like the descending run before the "Scarecrow" chorus and the almost unnoticeable but catchy-as-fuck three-note bass line during the verse of "Lonely Ol' Night" - this stuff seems so simple, but makes the songs sound so much more worked on and well-written!). :pinch::drunk::2T:

I truly dig both of these artists but in the end have to give the "slight" edge to the Boss.

But not by much. :band:

Though the comparison has often been applied to him unfairly, it's fair to say that Scarecrow is to John Cougar Mellencamp what Born in the U.S.A. is to Bruce Springsteen: as Randy Silver, music columnist points out- These albums solidified both fan bases and critical reputation for both artists.

I don't know much about Mellencamp's albums, but I don't know this: While Stringsteenheads loved Born In The USA and it is The Boss' highest selling album, most fans still think Born To Run is his best album.

The Bruce vs. Mellancamp ? ? ? What kind of bullshit is that? Mellancamp doesn't hold a candle to the Boss.

It's like comparing Arnold to Van Dam. One's a first rate move star, the other's the King of B movies.

Come on people.

Archived