Hondo's Bar

Center Ice

MusicManiac

nhlcrest.gif

Anyone else out there miss the NHL last year?

Well I'm a HUGE bruins2.jpg Fan and I most certainly did.

I was a very happy camper when they announced that the NHL was going to return this October.

I got my fix last season watching the Lowell (Massachusetts) Lock Monsters of the AHL, which is fine, because you spend 1/900th the amount of money at minor league games. But let's face facts. It's time to watch some real NHL caliber hockey.

So let's bring it on. :ifyouknowwhatimean:

I think everyone understood that the NHL needed to be overhauled drastically if it had any plans to survive. The deal that the two sides agreed upon was the right move.

Just look at all the free-agent signings (for semi-reasonable $$) in the past couple of days:

Forsberg will be playing for Philly, Chris Pronger is an Oiler, Holik is in Atlanta, Brian Leetch and Alexei Zhamnov are Bruins, Roenick in LA, Khabibulin is now in Chicago, Paul Kariya heads to Nashville, and Scott Niedermayer's a Mighty-frickin Duck?

A salary cap for each team was absolutely 100% necessary. This will be proven as we watch the popularity of the NHL return over the next decade.

As the NHL returns to the ice, it will do so under vastly different rules.

If anyone has any questions about any of the new rules, such as "Tag-Up" offsides, let me know. I'll do my best to explain them or check out this link from ESPN.

NHL Rule Changes Link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2114523

There are several rule changes designed to make them game more interesting and fast-paced. (About time) I always hated the dump-n-chase style game and the "intentional" icing of the puck to pull a line change.

One of the new rules this year- the tag-up offsides rule is: if you’re in the offensive zone and the puck goes out, you’re not offsides if you skate out to the neutral zone before re-entering the attack—you’ve “tagged up” the blue line. College hockey fans have long enjoyed tag-up offsides because it allows the offensive team to keep up the heat on the defense during the attack—and I'm positive that it’ll be good in the pros too.

nhl_tagup_508.jpg

Passes from behind the defensive blue line to the attacking blue line will be considered legal. The center red line will be ignored for purposes of the two-line pass.

The "tag-up rule" will permit play to continue if offensive players who preceded the puck into the zone return to the blue line and "tag" it.

• 2 weeks later...

Day One. Hockey's back tonight! (Thank God).

33751.jpg

Man, if you watched any Hockey tonight, I'm sure you saw that the new rules have just opended up the game so much. The speed of the game is incrediible and allows for a much more entertaining and blazingly paced game.

No more dump-n-chase play! w00t! :howyoudoin:

------------------------------------------------

ESPN SCOREBOARD

Montreal Canadiens 2 Final Boston Bruins 1 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

New York Islanders 4 Final Buffalo Sabres 6 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

Atlanta Thrashers 0 Final Florida Panthers 2 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

New York Rangers 5 Final Philadelphia Flyers 3 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

Columbus Bluejackets 2 Final Washington Capitals 3 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

St. Louis Blues 1 Final Detroit Redwings 5 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

Pittsburgh Penguins 1 Final New Jersey Devils 5 • Latest • Line Score •

Carolina Hurricanes 2 Final Tampa Bay Lightning 5 • Latest • Line Score •

San Jose Sharks 2 Final Nashville Predators 3 • Latest • Line Score •

Ottawa Senators 3 Final Toronto Leafs 2 • Latest • Line Score • Recap

Anaheim Ducks 5 Final Chicago Hawks 3 • Latest • Boxscore • Recap

Los Angeles Kings 4 Final Dallas Stars 5 • Latest • Line Score •

Calgary Flames 3 Final Minnesota Wild 6

I missed the Bruins game tonight as watching the Red Sox get screwed. Really excited about being in Bsoton for a season this year though. I don't know too much about hockey, but thinking with the cable set to NESN, a couple $10 nose-bleed tickets, and perhaps a cheap 2nd hand copy of NHL 2003 or something for the PS2, I'll be an addict by the end of the season.

Also, school I go to has a half-decent hockey team, so will have to go watch some matches this year.

halloffametrio80027os.jpg

Bourque, Coffey, Murphy enter Hockey Hall of Fame

Hockey Hall of Fame inducted its Class of 2004. In the Player Category, the class included Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey and Larry Murphy. Cliff Fletcher was honored in the Builder Category. ESPN.com columnist Jim Kelley received the Elmer Ferguson Memorial Award for distinguished hockey journalism and Carolina Hurricanes play-by-play man Chuck Kaiton was given the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for his work as a broadcaster.

One of the great moments for Bourque, Murphy and Coffey came at the 1987 Canada Cup final, the only time the three played on the same team at once.

• 1 month later...

Jumbo Joe is Gone...

01trade5tb.jpg

The Boston Bruins, who have lost 9 of their last 10 games, pushed the fucking panic button last night and traded their captain and best player, Joe Thornton, to the San Jose Sharks for defenseman Brad Stuart and forwards Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau.

panic_Button.gif

Yup.

Again, to those who care Captain Jumbo Joe, the franchise player, the reason people still flock to the garden in cattle herds to see the bumbling last place Bruins play... is gone.

:humping:

Never before has there been such a public outcry by the Boston Faithful in sports since the Clemens fiasco.

The 26-year-old Thornton, the No. 1 pick in the 1997 N.H.L. entry draft, was reportedly unhappy with the team last summer. The Bruins courted the veteran center Mike Modano, who eventually re-signed with Dallas after the Bruins also fucked up that deal.

"It's definitely a shock," Thornton, a 6-foot-4, 223-pound center, said during a telephone conference from Boston, where he had been dining with his parents. "I signed a three-year deal with Boston," an extension for $20 million. "I was hoping to stay there for three years. I really thought this was a contending team. But obviously, when you don't win games, things happen."

Boston (8-13-5) is last in the Northeast Division.

And this morning , I don't think that Boston cares. :angel:

Hell...even attendence is so bad that Dunkin Donuts, a major sponsor here in the metro Beantown area is in on the act. They are offering 4 tickets with the purchase of 4, anywhere in the rink.

Last night, Thornton was asked if he felt he was being made the scapegoat by the Bruins' management.

Yes Joe you are. :)

"You could say that," Thornton said. "Who knows? Hindsight's 20-20. I came here to win. We're not winning. Who's fault that is, I'm not sure. But right now, I'm out of here. So it must be mine."

Thornton led the Bruins in scoring this season with 33 points on 9 goals and 24 assists in 23 games. In 532 career games, all with the Bruins, Thornton has 169 goals and 285 assists for 454 regular-season points.

Mike O'Connell, the Bruins' general manager, said in a statement: "We felt we needed to shake up the team, and sometimes you have to make some difficult decisions to better the team. We feel we received three players who can help us immediately."

:???:

What Boston needs right now IMO is the head of Mike O'Connell on a pike who also dealt Ray Bourque away and has since let 13 all star players leave the gates of Boston to better caeers on different teams and Stanely Cup championships.

Stuart, 26, the third overall pick in 1997, has 2 goals and 10 assists this season. Sturm, 27, has 6 goals and 10 assists; and Primeau, 29, has 5 goals and 3 assists.

Wow. great deal. One has been and 2 never proved.

Thanks again Mike.

I feel nausea setting in........... :wank:

-C.

• 8 months later...

Archived