Hondo's Bar

Hail Ming!

MusicManiac

flash_flat_pack_shot.jpg

Flash Gordon 25th Anniversary DVD

Cinematical has posted on the UK exclusive release of Flash Gordon (25th Anniversary Edition) DVD.

Though the US seems to be heartlessly ignoring Flash Gordon's 25th anniversary, readers in the UK (or those with a region-free DVD player) can celebrate with a totally kickass new DVD edition. Included on the disc (which reportedly offers a great transfer) are two commentary tracks, one by director Mike Hodges, and the other by costar Brian Blessed, as well an episode of the original Flash Gordon serial (starring Buster Crabbe).

This is good news. I currently own an old copy of Flash Gordon on DVD but the picture quality is questionable and there is no special features -well a trailer, but they all have that-. What truly puckers my ass, is that this galactic adventure classic will not be released in the US -or Canada even-. Luckily I have a region-free DVD player, but that isn't going to make it any easier to get my hands on Flash. I am looking forward to sitting back on my sofa with a fat bowl ... of popcorn ... and enjoying movie moments like Flash (Sam Jones) playing football in the royal palace, Princess Aura (Ornella Muti) tied to a torture table, Ming (Max von Sydow) -Ming rocks-, and the awesome soundtrack performed by Queen is remastered.

Are you a fan of this Sci-Fi classic?

If so and you live in the States or Canada, what are your feelings on the UK release only?

Finally; if you have experience purchasing DVD's from overseas, give us some helpful resources and things to look out for when taking on this type of hunt.

Hail Ming!

flash1.jpg

flash2.jpg

Forget the hi-tech droidery of the current strain of sci-fi, Flash Gordon time warps us thirty years back into the baroque world of wedding-cake sky castles, crystal swords, hawk-men, and chaps who have just twelve hours to save the world, armed only with a lantern jaw and a clean pairof tights. The narrative is a little plodding, but adult punters will soon slip back into areverie for the lost visions of Saturday morning cinema, and their kids can get off on the extraordinary undercurrent of febrile sexuality. Acting honours go to von Sydow as Ming the Merciless and Mariangela Melato as his dark-eyed henchperson. Flash himself is as thick as a brick, but will no doubt appeal to gentlemen who prefer blondes.

• 4 months later...
Are you a fan of this Sci-Fi classic?

If so and you live in the States or Canada, what are your feelings on the UK release only?

:fuming: You want to know how I feel about this . Here goes The brits can :mumble::yup::censored::censored::censored: sons of :censored::anger:

I've been going online looking for two copys (one for MusicManiac) I keep finding the dvd but I have no idea how much is it from american $ to brit pound. I'll try my luck at the comicbook store on friday. That is if you don't mind a burn copy for the time being MM.

:fuming: You want to know how I feel about this . Here goes The brits can :???::censored::censored::censored::censored: sons of :censored::anger:

I've been going online looking for two copys (one for MusicManiac) I keep finding the dvd but I have no idea how much is it from american $ to brit pound. I'll try my luck at the comicbook store on friday. That is if you don't mind a burn copy for the time being MM.

Not at all comrade. :)

• 1 year later...

Archived