Hondo's Bar

Where Are They Now....????

MusicManiac

Blatantly ripped off from another music forum... I have decided to start this WATN topic so we can see what has happened to the idols of our youth. If you want me to find out where someone is then post and ask. Otherwise post those you know.

I'll start with...

Daryl Hall and John Oates

209dc2c08fb.jpg

-One of the best shows I ever went to.-

Then:

hallandoates12eq.jpg

Now:

hoates2jw.jpg

I love these guys.

Hall & Oates is the popular music duo made up of Daryl Hall and John Oates. The act achieved its greatest fame in the late 1970s and early-to-mid 1980s, and used a unique variety of ballad-oriented pop-blue eyed soul (occasionally tinged with dance and rock influences) to dominate the charts. The partnership is the most successful chart duo in the history of American recorded music.

They are best known for hits like "Out of Touch," "Private Eyes," "Maneater," "Rich Girl," "She's Gone," "Kiss On My List," and "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)."

The duo recorded over a dozen Top 40 hits in addition to the songs already listed. They last reached the pop Top 40 in 1990 and the two slowly faded from public view, although they did not formally break up. They have continued to record and tour with some success. In total the act scored 34 hit singles on the Billboard Hot 100.

A greatest hits compilation was released in 2001 from BMG Entertainment. The BMG collection was expanded in 2004 and reissued the following year, after the Bertelsmann Music Group merged with Sony.

Daryl Hall (real name Hohl) first met John Oates at the Adelphi Ballroom in Philadelphia in 1967 while attending Temple University. Both were heading their own musical groups - the Temptones (Hall) and the Masters (Oates) - at the time. They were there at a band competition when gunfire rang out between two rival gangs, and in trying to escape, they ran to the same service elevator. Because of their similar musical tastes, they quickly became acquainted. It would take them another two years to form a musical duo, and three years after that, they had signed to Atlantic Records and released their debut.

While much of the duo's reputation is due to its sustained pop-chart run in the 1980s, Hall & Oates are also respected for their ability to cross style boundaries. To this day, "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" is one of the most-sampled songs by R&B and hip-hop groups over the last 25 years, being referenced by acts from Heavy D & the Boyz to Tamia. The song is also heavily sampled in the 2003 hit "Sunrise" by Simply Red.

The hook of the song "Method Man," from the Wu-Tang Clan's 1993 album, Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers, copies the refrain of Hall & Oates' "Method of Modern Love." ("The M-E-T-H-O-D..Man")

Kanye West sampled the song "Grounds For Separation" twice--once for Rhymefest for his song "Fight With The Best" and once for Jagged Edge for the remix of their song "Let's Get Married", on which West appeared.

Another song from the Private Eyes album, the arena-rocker "Head Above Water," has been used in TV advertisements for the New York Aquarium on Coney Island.

In 2004, a dance act called Uniting Nations sampled Hall & Oates hit "Out Of Touch". The song, also called "Out Of Touch", achieved success across Europe and had a long UK chart run which spanned over several months. The song has also been remixed to less popularity by the smaller dance acts Playaz and Up Top.

In 2005 G-Unit hip-hop artist "Tony Yayo" sampled Hall and Oates on the song "Tattle Teller."

In 2006, the duo is still jammin' and have released 2 new albums.

Archived