Hondo's Bar

Crackdown

Jables

Crackdown on Xbox.com

From the developers of the GTA series(though I don't think it's Rockstar), this is a futuristic gangbanger pretty much of the same ilk. I downloaded the demo on live & I recomend anyone else with a 360 do the same. It's out here Feb 24th(it could already be out there), and it's tight-as-fuck even in what I'd consider an over-used engine. Same stock-as-a-block controls as the rest of the GTA series you play as a futuristic cop in a LA-style realtime city overrun with members of 4 major gangs- your job being to take'em down of course. The graphics are sweet & cell-shaded smooth, the action is fast-paced & the controls are easy. The auto-aim is a little frustrating in that it's stay focused on a fella a good minute or two after you've drilled him with your sidearm or one's the numerous subbies you'll find throughout the initial map, and there's maybe a handful of cars in the whole set that don't handle like a 3-wheeled shopping trolley in the swamp.

On the whole, if you didn't like the try-hard feel of Saint's Row, this is probably gonna be the best succesor to San Andreas you'll take until GTA 4 comes along in October.

Crackdown Trailer

• 3 months later...
Overeager Crackdown fans may see their long hours of progress in their game wiped clean, thanks to another bug finding its way into downloadable XBLA content.

Last week saw Crackdown fans treated to a very comprehensive downloadable package, which opened up a vast array of new gaming modes and additional content for players to dive into. Unfortunately, some players who decided to dive straight in may have seen their saved files being reset due to a bug that has found its way into the game thanks to the new content.

Currently, developer Realtime Worlds has been unable to find the source of the bug, but they have assured fans that they're hard at work figuring out the cause of the problem.

"We are aware that the recently released Crackdown DLC is causing some gamers to experience a reset of their saved games when they engage in co-op play," the developers explained on the team's official forums. "The team is working extremely hard to identify the issue, and has provided steps to avoid the problem."

The bug occurs when a player downloads and installs the new content, and immediately hosts or joins an on-line co-op game straight afterwards. Players are advised to load up a solo campaign, move to a new location in the gameworld, then quit, which will automatically save your game progress and stop the bug from occurring. Realtime is also advising gamers not to play online against other players that have downloaded the new content unless they've gone through the same process.

Archived