Hondo's Bar

Appleseed Ex Machina

Maldron

Ever since I was made aware that there was going to be another Appleseed movie, after thoroughly enjoying the 2004 film, I had made the decision to buy it without a second thought. I loved the first one, a political/existential/action piece that didn't delve too heavy into any but didn't disappoint either. So imagine my surprise when I watched this movie and saw it turned into a cop film. And really, I should've known as soon as John Woo was mentioned that something wouldn't be the same, but it just didn't register properly. I at least admire the bastard for giving the doves that seem to plague his work a retarded purpose in this film, but I'm so full of distaste for it I can't even laugh at that. It was almost like a nod from the creators that told me "This is Woo's business, not ours."

Having never seen the original movie or read the manga, I only have the previous movie to go off of in my watching of the second flick. They changed Briareos from a hard-spoken military commander to a cop, they changed Deunan from a combat-hardened tactical genius to a cop that refuses to follow the rules, and they made the relationship between the two more of a buddy-cop-turned-romance than a strong affection born through adversity.

And if that wasn't enough, they had to go off and fight the fucking BORG.

They seem to choose to not reference the previous movie as much as possible, which is somewhat heartbreaking, and kept me from enjoying this movie too much. Everything seemed changed, the tone of the movie was so light when compared to the darker tones of the previous title. Towards the end of it, I wanted to fall asleep rather than continue and my friend actually managed to do so - and this was amidst a giant robot battle. I LIKE giant robots, and I cannot stress that fact enough when I tell you that I found sleep preferential.

I just didn't like it, plain and simple. I might've if it had a name other than Appleseed attached, but even still, the whole thing felt empty when compared to the characters I had met just a few years ago.

I saw the previews on one of the videos I rented last night. I didnt like the screenshots/clips they used. Looks like they tried too hard, and failed, as far as the graphics go for being computerized and all. I will also say that I am not into anime type flicks... so why the effe am I even in here???

-\_ (O,o)_/- I dunno!?

I saw the previews on one of the videos I rented last night. I didnt like the screenshots/clips they used. Looks like they tried too hard, and failed, as far as the graphics go for being computerized and all. I will also say that I am not into anime type flicks... so why the effe am I even in here???

-\_ (O,o)_/- I dunno!?

I think you're in here to throw me a bone, mostly. So thanks.

Archived