Hondo's Bar

Decimation & Deadly Genesis

The NZA

Though its pretty far off (we're apparently only in the early parts of House of M), Newsarama gives a brief peak at what's to come for late 05/early 06 Marvel..

HE MARVEL TO COME: NOVEMBER AND 2006's TRADES

This week eagled-eyed comic book fans who knew where to look got a possible glimpse into some of Marvel’s future plans. Marvel’s email newsletter to retailers and database for the ‘nets largest online bookseller were updated with information that may or may not serve as a crystal ball for upcoming Marvel offerings.

Starting with the more reliable of the two, on Tuesday Marvel released the following info to retailers, intended to demonstrate the significance of what’s currently occurring the House of M. Information that has since found its way into several public forums.

Here’s what Marvel had to say…

”The core of our publishing plan for the next 18 months springs out of House of M and the events therein. Immediately after House of M finishes, you’ll see a number of projects, storylines, specials and one-shots that deal with the instantaneous ramifications of the climax of House of M while setting the stage for the big event of 2006. Among these projects are:

November

House Of M: The Day After One-shot

Generation M Limited Series

X-Men: Deadly Genesis (30th anniversary of the All-New, All-Different X-Men) Limited Series [editor’s note: Newsarama’s story/preview].

Wolverine #36 begins a year-long story arc, “The Quest,” directly out of the events of HoM

Son of M Limited Series

And in 2006:

New Avengers #15 begins a six-issue arc introducing a major new villain out of the HoM

You’ll hear more details about these and other House of M aftermath projects as the weeks go by!”

Marvel did not comment on any of these titles when asked by Newsarama for details, creative teams, and clarification.

As for that online bookseller mentioned above, every few months industrious comic book readers (and members of the press) will head on over to Amazon.com, and using the online giant’s Search tools find early listings for potential Marvel trade paperbacks and collections.

Because Marvel sells to the mass book market well in advance of the three month window common in the direct market, the publisher prepares a special bookstore catalog (published twice a year) and “sell sheets” for bookstore buyers, sometimes offering products over a year before their scheduled mass market publication, which could equate to up to 6 to 9 months in the direct market.

And occasionally, Amazon updates their database with some of these listings far in advance of their direct market solicitation.

One caveat to this sort of online prospecting, however, is that since the listings are so far in advance, they often have little to no creator or story details, and can be in fact tentative, with projects never actually making it to the direct or any other market. So while reading the below, bare in mind while the projects listed probably now or at least once appeared on a Marvel editorial calendar, these is no 100% guarantee they’ll eventually be published and many of them are subject to interpretation.

So with that disclaimer out of the way, let’s see what Amazon has to offer.

- Marvel’s very first listing when sorted by publication date is August 2006’s “Angel: Fallen”, listed as 120 pages and collecting “Angel: Fallen #1-5”, perhaps referring to an Angel solo series of some kind.

- Also in August is something titled “Nextwave”, a 144-pager collecting “Nextwave #1-6”. Your guess is as good as ours. Reportedly, “Nextwave” is Warren Ellis’ forthcoming team book.

- ”Silver Sable/Dominic Fortune”, collecting #1-6 of a title by that name has a July 2006 arrival date, as does a 120-page “Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane Digest”.

- July ‘06’s “The Essential Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe - Deluxe Edition Volume 1 TPB” - 496 pages for $16.99 (Amazon’s price) collecting “OHOTMU Deluxe (1st 3rd)” will be preceded in May ’06 by the “Essential Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe Volume 1 TPB”, 544 pages (same price) collecting “OHOTMU #1-15”.

- ”X-Men: Deadly Genesis” appears twice in Marvel’s listings, once as a “Premiere Hardcover” in June ‘06 and earlier as a TPB scheduled for May, as do other recently announced projects like “Nick Fury’s Howling Commandos” (though referred only as “Howling Commandos” on Amazon).

- ”Zombie” is an unidentified 104-page June ’06 TPB, though it seems likely to have some relation to December’s “Essential Tales Of The Zombie Volume 1 TPB”. Here’s Amazon’s description of the latter collection along with an image.

“He lives! He strikes! No grave can hold him! Nothing can stop the man without a soul! Marked for human sacrifice by voodoo practitioners, Simon Garth was instead reanimated by mystical means - to be controlled by whoever holds the fabled Amulet of Damballah. And so begin the Tales of the Zombie! Collects stories from Tales of the Zombie #1-10; Dracula Lives #1-2.”

- One interesting title of a collection for a current Marvel title is May 06’s “Black Panther: The Wedding”, 184 pages collecting Black Panther #7-13.

- Other less descript titles of trade paperbacks of monthly series include “The Incredible Hulk: Peace in Our Time” and “X-Men: House of Broken Dreams”.

A 152-page “House Of M: Aftermath TPB” is listed for May ’06, likely having some relation to the information from this week’s retailer newsletter.

- ”Fantastic Four: Invulnerable” collects something listed as “Fantastic Four: Invulnerable #1-4” in March 2006.

- And in February, a 144-page “Cloak & Dagger Volume 1 TPB” is listed. Though there is no information as to what is being collected new or older material, but the 144-page count seems to indicate a 6-issue collection. This may be a good time to mention obviously Marvel does offer new collections of old series sometimes, so Cloak & Dagger fans proceed with even more caution than usual with your optimism here.

Essential X-Factor Volume 1 TPB” is a 568-page volume and this one also has a description:

”The death of Jean Grey re-defined the X-Men, but her resurrection did nothing less! Recovered by the Avengers and revived by the Fantastic Four, Jean's return re-grouped her fellow founders into a supposed mutant-hunting unit that ferreted out some of mutantdom's rising stars - including the devastating debut of the ancient evil everyone identifies as Apocalypse! With Mystique, the Morlocks, and the Master Mold! Featuring tie-ins to the infamous Mutant Massacre! Guest-starring Thor and Power Pack! Collects X-Factor #1-16, Annual #1, Avengers #262, Fantastic Four #286, Thor #373-374, and Power Pack #27.”

Peter David’s initial X-Factor story arc also had a trade paperback coming.

Finally, a “Captain Universe TPB” (Feb. ’06) collecting “Captain Universe 2nd Series #1-5” almost certainly has some relation to the Jay Faerber written event that begins as back-ups in the fall’s Amazing Fantasy #13-14.

and yes, they've apparently heard the cries of Da Cap'n.

• 2 months later...

So...Marvel promised House of M would change their univese, and by the end of # 7, it looks like they delievered.

This thread is for that event & the fallout (DeciMation) that's supposed to affect all of the Marvel U, with lasting effects not to be undone until lesser editors allow it....so yeah, its full of spoilers if you havent read HoM.

Quesada talks @ ramifications over at Newsarama

For those who didnt catch it, and want to spoil a great book:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

haha...same here, but dont give up - "Deadly Genesis" is supposed to be a big series, and Brubaker's (Gotham Central, Captain America) at the helm, should be solid. This new guy, Hines i think, he's supposed to write a few things....between that and Daneil Way's work on Wolverine, i thnk the non-Cleremont stuff is gonna be good.

• 2 weeks later...

fullXDEADLYG002_COV.jpg

So, according to Brubaker (over @ Newsarama), X-Men: Deadly Genesis answers more than a few things...

With Deadly Genesis, not only are we going to learn what happened to Professor X after House of M, not only are we re-examining the first New X-Men adventure from another point of view, and introducing a major new villain who will haunt the X-Men for years to come...

But we're also going to finally tell the story of the Third Summers Brother. That's one of the secrets that Xavier has been sitting on for a while, and when fans read this story, they are going to go -- "Oh my god, it's been right there in front of me for years!"

Damn. Tying into Giant-Sized X-Men is one thing, and new supervilians are always cool, but that's one of the few dangling plotlines left over from Cleremont's better days on the title. This series is gonna be big.

I"m still months behind and I'm catching up by reading graphic novels. I been out of the loop for a while... the last thing I've read with x-men was by Chris Claremont and it was "X-men: The End Volume 2 Heros and Martyrs. it that is already explaind who the third summers brother is. and well does this tie into the house of M and decimation stuff because I haven't read any of that yet.

Christ, no....youre able to keep up with X-Men: The End? Too many mutants for me...but no, whatever Cleremont does there doesnt cout, thankfully.

As long as youre basically aware of what happened by the end of Avengers: Dissasembled, simply reading House of M 1-8 will set up this series just fine, and its really worth it.

• 2 months later...

alright, so...

are you serious?

this is the best post House of M X-storyline going.

Hey, had some down time and stopped off at Newbury Comics to browse around while at work today. I picked this one up cause, well simply cause I love the cover. I'm starting to want to collect again with all you guys raving about the stuff out now. But it can expensive quick.

I wanna read parts 1 & 2, but where this is the March issue, they're a bitch to find. Anyone who can locate 'em let me know, where to find em or I'll comp ya for the cost and ship if you can get them. Anyhow, I thought I'd just ramble about it. I guess the first issue had 2 covers, 1 orig and a pretty kick ass alternate from what I've seen online.

Nick, Panch, any of you guys read these? Suggestions on new stuff out? You guys like Silvestri's work? Let me know.

wolverine7pb.jpg

X-Men Deadly Genesis

COVER BY: MARC SILVESTRI

WRITER: ED BRUBAKER

PENCILS: TREVOR HAIRSINE

i dug Silvestri's old work on :yup: but he's still good, i remmebe reading The Darkness for him & Ennis.

This is a good book, but its rooted in old X-Men history so i dont know how approachable it is as an intro...still, its written by Brubaker so you might not even know 100% of whats going on and still enjoy it. Anything in particular youre lookin to try out tho, MM? there's a lotta good jump-on points these days, man.

I'm up to issue 4 of DG & still not impressed. I even turned down oral pleasures last night with the proclamation "Not yet honey, I gotta see just what Nick's been raving about." And still no love. If this doesn't pay off Nick, you owe me 16 bucks & a blowjob.

Skeet - seriously? i mean, its still kinda funny i almost got you to buy a cleremont book by accident, but this one's the goods - Brubaker's turned an old, dead loose plot thread into what looks like a cool new villian....until Astonishing X-Men started up again last week, this was the best X-book i saw out there.

MM - you might really dig Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man: great, new stories of classic villians & such, with great art all around as well. The first trades (books of one complete run/story arc, usually like six issues reprinted into a book) can be found online for around $5 and are great stories, from both series. Plus, theyre also self-contained...I think youd dig em.

I'm up to issue 4 of DG & still not impressed. I even turned down oral pleasures last night with the proclamation "Not yet honey, I gotta see just what Nick's been raving about." And still no love. If this doesn't pay off Nick, you owe me 16 bucks & a blowjob.

I'm not liking this one as much as I thought I would either! Yeah, thanks to Nick! Dude, you owe me 6 bucks for the two issues I bought! I'll go get something cooler with it like Toxin or something!

Archived