Hondo's Bar

a new King of Kong

Keth

LINK

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters portrayed the epic struggle between Steve Wiebe and Billy Mitchell to claim the high score in Donkey Kong, but a new challenger has beaten them both. Record-keeping organization Twin Galaxies sends word (via Kotaku) that Hank Chien of New York (above) has taken the record with a new high score of 1,061,700 during a 2 hour, 35 minute play session. Chien is a 35-year-old plastic surgeon, and the record was set at an arcade cabinet in New York.

Chien said he started playing the game after seeing the popular documentary, and before that didn't even know the kill screen existed. "I remember the exact day I knew I could get the world record: September 13, 2009," Chien said in an interview with Twin Galaxies. "That was the day I first broke a million on Donkey Kong to reach 1,037,700. I didn't even realize how close I was to the world record. I was going on a business trip that day and had a flight to catch, but I had about two hours to kill and figured I had enough time for one game. So I figured up my Donkey Kong machine, and on my first game, boom! Too bad getting 1,000,000 takes about 2 1/2 hours."

The King of Kong documentary ended with Wiebe victoriously triumphing over Mitchell's score. But Mitchell took it back in 2007 with a score of 1,050,200, where it has stood for almost three years. Now both of the competitors have one more player to top.

I smell a sequel!

Archived