Hondo's Bar

Haunt

Panch

haunt_comic_cover_001b_cl.jpg

Haunt is a fictional comic book character who appears in a self-titled ongoing series created by Todd McFarlane and Robert Kirkman, launched by Image Comics on October 7, 2009.[1] The comic is written by Kirkman with layouts done by Greg Capullo, pencils by Ryan Ottley, and inks by McFarlane.[2]

Haunt is a story about Daniel Kilgore, a Catholic priest, who is haunted by the ghost of his estranged brother Kurt, a murdered secret agent. The brothers combine to form a superhero.[3]

In a 2008 interview with Newsarama, Kirkman explained that the initial storyline in Haunt deals with Kurt trying to solve his own murder.

During a Q&A session at the 2006 San Diego Comic-Con, McFarlane called on Kirkman, who was seated in the audience. Kirkman stood up and expressed that he was a fan, and wanted to know why McFarlane didn't work on comics anymore.[6] Not recognizing Kirkman, McFarlane responded, "I always sort of felt if you could create your own Mickey Mouse, it's a pretty good living. You don't need to do a Donald Duck and a Goofy and a Minnie Mouse. Arguably, [i've done that] with Spawn."[7] He added, "I do have some ideas, but I can only spread myself so thin."[7] Fellow panelist Brian Haberlin finally told McFarlane that the audience member was Kirkman.[7] After exchanging jokes, McFarlane asked Kirkman if he would be interested in collaborating on a project, to which Kirkman agreed.

So yeah, I'm reading this and I'm having a good time with it. It's basically two parts Kirkman, one part McFarlane. Ryan Ottley (of Invincible) does the art, but it's not really his art. He's kinda changed his style up a bit to have that 'McFarlane' feel. It's cool. It's feels like a 90's comic, but now.

haunt_comic_cover_003b_cl.jpg

yeah, i read the first 2 issues or so (believe it or not, im actually following Spawn at the moment too, wanna see what goes down in # 200), but it was almost too 90s for me. what # is it up to now, how you liking it?

It's up to like 7 or 8, but I've only read up to four. I was like 'this is weird' for the first 2 issues , but I was still curious (the type of curiousness that Frank Miller's Goddamn Batman brings out) and kept reading. While it REALLY felt like a McFarlane book for 1 and half of 2, it's starting to level out. So subtly do you start to feel the 'Kirkman' shine through. Stick with it Nick. You download 'em anyway. You ain't hurtin' the space on your computer too much. Let's at least read for a while before it gets too over the top... and this thread at least makes 2 pages.

Archived