Hondo's Bar

Ps3 cfw banings begin soon

gunsmithx

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/02/16/official-statement-regarding-ps3-circumvention-devices-and-pirated-software/

Important Access to the PlayStation Network and Access to Qriocity Services Notice

Unauthorized circumvention devices for the PlayStation 3 system have been recently released by hackers.

These devices permit the use of unauthorized or pirated software. Use of such devices or software violates the terms of the “System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System” and the “Terms of Services and User Agreement” for the PlayStation Network/Qriocity and its Community Code of Conduct provisions.

Violation of the System Software Licence Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System invalidates the consumer guarantee for that system. In addition, copying or playing pirated software is a violation of International Copyright Laws.

Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 System terminated permanently.

To avoid this, consumers must immediately cease use and remove all circumvention devices and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from their PlayStation 3 systems.

I'll be honest I'm suprised they seem to be giving people a small window to go back to ofw, I wonder how long it'll last.

That said I think this about what everyone expected and I"m good with this, if you want homebrew then you get it but not access to psn. I figure we'll see the ban wave coming in the next month of so.

I only celebrate because 1) this stops cheating on psn, lets be honest, unless you design a console for homebrew right from the start(now that could be really really cool, though you could argue if sony really adopts ps suite that will take care of alot of it if it's easy to put up your own apps) there's going to be rampant cheating and I've heard the horror stories from many places since the cfw went live. 2. they dont' remove your ablity to do homebrew just your access to their private network. honestly everyone knew this was happening and even alot of the hardcore homebrewers understand this from what I can see.

The lawsuit was dumb and trying to get the ip address(which they couldn't do anything with anyway) was dumb. I don't know how you go from that to sending out letters giving people time to swap back instead of just mass bans MS style. It really feels like theirs 2 trains of thought going on there.

I think they should drop the lawsuit and just move on, this is the best comprimise and 3.56 is much harder to crack atm. The really funny part is that everyone said the ps3 was done and sony could do nothing, then they came back with a good ofw that stopped people and they will now keep people off psn. again the lawsuit and that shit was pretty dumb.

This whole thing also makes it much harder to pirate future games which is a complete win by all and should be celbrated by the homebrew community since they hate pirates too!

Though I really wonder who thought that lawsuit was a good idea.... poor geohot.....

Archived