Hondo's Bar

Frida

Why can't all movies be like this? This was absolutely fuckin' amazing. One of my favorites this year for sure. It's about the life of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo (Selma Hayek), her marriage to Diego Rivera, her role in the politics of the time, and above all, her art. To say the least, this woman lived the hell out of her life. I don't care if you're not artsy, or if a biography of some mexican sounds boring to you, or if you dont like political stuff, if you have a soul, you will like this movie.

This movie is a fucking visual orgasm. Absolute genius, every frame of it. The director, Julie Taymor (Titus), made one of the best looking, most colorful movies I've ever seen. The whole thing looks like a beautiful painting. There are moments where life morphs into and out of paintings and other stunningly original moments that have to be seen to be beleived. There's some great parts where everything will be some dull and drab color and Frida herself will be wearing something bright red, popping out of the screen. If this movie looked any better, the world would implode.

The script is great too. It hops from place to place in her life will little confusion, and she led one hell of an interesting life. I think about character developement, and these characters did more than develop, they lived. Movies about artists can get really cheesy and pretentious and this one avoided all of that. Great sense of humor and overall energy. No matter what happens, it never really gets depressing. Another thing about this one that beats other artist movies, her art IS actually as good as they say it is.

Acting is top notch. Hayek proves herself to be a damned good serious actress, and all the supporting cast is great. Some cool cameos too, Including Ashley Judd, Antonio Bandera, an unrecognizable Geoffrey Rush as Leon Trotsky, and Edward Norton as Nelson Rockafellar.

Julie Taymor has just joined the ranks of people like PT Anderson, David Fincher, M Night Shymalan, Wes Anderson, and Darren Aranofsky, new directors that are proving that movies are just as good as they used to be. It's up there with Punchdrunk love, Minority Report, and Spirited Away as one of my favorite movies of the year, and I swear if you pass this one by and watch some shit like the Steven Seagal "the rock" rip-off "Half Past Dead", I'll hunt you down myself.

Junker's on the money with Frida. This is defenitely a DVD i will add to my stunning collection of six. Awesome, simply awesome.

B) B) B) B) B) 5 Cool Smilies

THis was freaking awesome!!

Among my top 10 for sure. As the weeks go by and I see it a couple more times it will either move up or down on my list but not very far either way. I loved it. GO SEE IT!! you'll come out feeling like you should have paid more for it!

Yeah, I took em to it and made sure they didn't make me seem like the one raving lunatic that watches this stuff. Of course Dinghy also saw saw Spirited Away, Bowling for Columbine and Punchdrunk love with me, and liked all of those, but I didn't make her post about them so I'm the lone voice on those... I assure you, I'm not the only one who likes this stuff, I take people, but they just dont fuckin post.

Sure! All these "people" exist, they just never make their presense known. Well, I've seen Punch-drunk Love and Bowling for Columbine and I really liek P-DL and absolutely loved B4C. I haven't seen Spirited Away, but I loved Princess Mononoke and the only reason I haven't seen it is cause I don't like drivign tot he beach to see a movie.

Eh well, I guess if I take anyone else to see stuff I'll just sit down with em and force them to post at gunpoint!.

About spirited away, I guess we were lucky to even get it on the beach, it was only released on like 120 screens in the whole country. It's not playing there anymore though, I think it's only playing at some place in ft lauderdale at like 1:30 in the afternoon or something now... No justice in the world when "Jackass" opens on something like 5000 screens and one of the best animated movies I've ever seen gets next to nothing... Whatever, it's gonna be huge on DVD, I'm sure. On Frida though, it seems to be doing well at the box office for a smaller film. It's like number 7 or something. Star power has it selling pretty well, hope word of mouth can take it the rest of the way.

Well, I don't cry over anime movies losing out at the box office here in the US. Spirited Away made all its money back in Japan. Any money it would have made here would only have been extra revenue. If Spider-Man didn't gross much money in Sri Lanka, that wouldn't affect whether or not they'd make a sequel. It's the American public's loss, not Spirited Away's.

"Two thumbs up"

-Roger Ebert

"Stunning visuals along with great acting!"

-new york times

"A must see film!"

-miami herald

"A Crotchgrabbingly good time!"

-Danny Fernandez

:D Heh, can nobody else wait to see shit like this when this boy becomes a high ranking critic? ROFL!

no no no, don't watch this amazing movie in shit quality on your goddamned computer screen. I absolutely hate this college student trend of DLing movies and watching them halfassed. Nothing beats the theater experience, watch it on the big screen, it's playing EVERYWHERE. And it's such a cool looking movie I couldn't bear to think someone was watching it on a computer monitor... And yeah, Salma Hayek gets naked. She's bisexual. There, you're sold, now I just hope you'd rather go for watching 10 foot boobs on the big screen rather than 4 inch ones on a little screen.

Christ Dan, why didn't you just tell us it was  "visually stunning"!

Hehe, you do say that alot Dan. Cut back on it or it will become your "It stinks!" (Jay Sherman)

And DLing isn't all bad. It good for crap movies you don't want to support, like Scooby-Doo, or watching a movie you loved in the theater again at home, until you buy the DVD when it comes out, like I'm trying to do with Bowling for Columbine, but can't find anywhere.

hmm, actually I think that what I say is "Visually cool as hell"... I dont use the word "stunning" unless referring to a woman's breasts. Oh, and I guess you can DL away if you've seen the movie and it's out of theaters, I just mean that it should never replace the theater or an official DVD release. Way too many people are settling for shit quality to save a buck.