Hondo's Bar

MCU ripoff: Phase IV

Paramount & Hasbro Developing Cinematic Universe Around G.I. JOE, MICRONAUTS, & More

128017.jpg

A new report has revealed that, in addition to their Transformersuniverse, Paramount Pictures is actively developing a shared film universe based on several Hasbro properties including G.I. Joe, theMicronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. and ROM. Come check it out!

Follow Rohan:

CBMBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png

By Rohan Patel - 12/15/2015

P4wFs4f.jpg

Yo Joe!

Following the immense success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, nearly every big name studio is working on developing their own similar shared movie universes with Warner Bros.' DC Extended Universe, Universal's Monster Movie Universe, and Paramount's rumoredTransformers universe being slightly ahead of the curve and the ones we'll likely see launch fairly soon.

Now, there's another one on the way! The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Paramount Pictures & Hasbro are currently in the midst of developing a second interconnected cinematic universe, this one centered on G.I. Joe and four other Hasbro brands - the Micronauts,Visionairies, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand), and ROM.

TMfVYpa.jpg

The studio is currently working on assembling a writers' room comprised of top-level talent, similar to the one they set up for their Transformers universe, to develop a creative roadmap for these new films. Paramount chairman & CEO Brad Grey expressed his excitement for the potential of this new universe: "Paramount and Hasbro have had a longstanding relationship and we're proud of the success we've enjoyed on the Transformers and G.I. Joe franchises. We're excited to grow our agreement and make even more movies based upon these popular and powerful Hasbro characters and their worlds."

Hasbro chairman, president & CEO Brian Goldner added: "Hasbro and Allspark Pictures put storytelling at the center of everything that we do. These brands are filled with memorable stories and vivid characters, and this universe creates a framework for how they will become interconnected. Extending our partnership with Paramount allows us to continue our long-term strategy and overall vision to build dynamic worlds for all of our brands, and we are thrilled to collaborate with them as we develop these properties.

The announcement makes no mention of their $3.8 billion Transformers franchise, so a crossover with the Robots in Disguise seems unlikely, at least in the initial stages, but it's certainly a possibility down the line as both shared film universes continue to expand.

The past two G.I. Joe films, the most recent of which starred Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, Bruce Willis, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Byung-hun Lee, & Channing Tatum, collected over $678 million worldwide.

I remember being excited about a live-action Transformers movie...I looove the G1 Transformers. I was done after the 2nd movie.

GI Joe and TMNT were also not aimed at me, the fan.

Maybe 10 years ago, I would've been excited to see a live-action version of these franchises (especially for M.A.S.K.) - but today, my expectations are lower than...

1_1243608305.jpg

• Upvote 1