Hondo's Bar

China: Man declares love with 840 Rubik's cubes,but she says no

The NZA

CNN

Hong Kong (CNN)It's a puzzling tale of unrequited love.

A 27-year-old Chinese man declared his affections by solving 840 Rubik's cubes and using them to create a giant portrait of his dream girl -- a next-door neighbor.

But, alas, she said no.

"I simply wanted to surprise her and tell her I like her ... but I was rejected," Tong Aonan, a mechanic from the northern Chinese city of Shenyang, told CNN.

When asked how he was feeling he said: "I'm not giving it too much thought."

Tong said he spent two months planning the 2.1-meter high and 1.4-meter wide mosaic. He drafted a design on Photoshop and then spent $460 on 840 Rubik's cubes that were delivered to his apartment.

Tong then solved each Rubik's cube according to his design -- and stacked them one-by-one in a specially made wooden frame. It took him 20 hours over three nights to complete.

Tong's heartbreaking tale and photos of the mosaic went viral after he shared them on Chinese social media.

Many have questioned why the girl would reject such a heartfelt and geeky declaration of love.

He says he has no hard feelings towards her. Although he wasn't able to win her heart, he said she was moved by the gift and has accepted it.

"I hope they will stop making personal comments about her (online)."

Tong said that he likes playing with the puzzles in his free time as he doesn't like going out and socializing.

The portrait is still sitting in his home and he says his next "puzzle" is how to move it.

China is no stranger to creative proposals.

A Guangzhou man proposed to his partner with 99 iPhones -- the number 9 sounds like "forever."

And in Sichuan, home to China's spiciest food, a man proposed by creating two hearts made of 99,999 red chilli peppers.

ZmuPVBa.jpg

kMMkEJL.jpg

gZts3xE.jpg

...maybe this should've gone in cringe? i dunno

First off, my heart goes out to the man. From all accounts, finding love in China if you are a male (gay or straight, but for different reasons) is tough. There are millions more men than women in China due to the combination of the One Child Policy and sex-selective abortions. Anti-natalist policies in India over the last two decades have also created a huge gender imbalance there as well. The cities in India with the highest gender imbalances are also the ones that have the worst bouts of civil unrest.

I remember reading a few years ago about a company that helped Chinese men important brides from Vietnam due to the sex-ration imbalance that was making it so difficult for Chinese men to find brides. This sort of the activity is only likely to increase in the coming years as long as China remains economically stable.

The only way a guy gets a girl to marry him in China is if he owns property and I bet Rubik's Cube Man did not own the apartment he was living in. Unfortunately for many Chinese, property values are sky high due to one of the largest real estate bubbles in human history that is currently in effect in China.