Hondo's Bar

Kubo and the Two Strings

Keth

WykBcD9.jpg

Me and the lady saw this tonight and it was amazing. Probably the best film of the summer and a very good way to end this shitty movie season. I was gonna just stick this in "Last film you saw", but it deserves it's own thread and really needs a good audience. It IS a little annoying that it's a Chinese fairy tale with a bunch of whities in the cast, but the story, animation, music, and overall heart in the movie really overshadows that.

Damn fine film.

dfuiXDa.jpg

Definitely didn't have a lot of advertising, but it deserves the audience. It's one of those that is equally suited for kids and adults. I can't wait to own it to watch all of the effort put into the stop motion on this one.

Also, correction on the Chinese comment, it's Japanese influenced.

I saw a trailer for this and after Axels' review, I think I'm going to take my family to this. Nicholas is four and I think he would like it. I just showed him the music video and he liked it.

Be aware that it is pretty dark. It's not as grim as say, Coraline, but it's got some pretty sad stuff going on. I think the levity makes up for the heavy parts though. Just throwin' that out there.

I saw a trailer for this and after Axels' review, I think I'm going to take my family to this. Nicholas is four and I think he would like it. I just showed him the music video and he liked it.

Yeah, axels is right that it's definitely a coming of age story that deals with some not so light stuff, Vagrant. Oh, and speaking of the great Regina Spektor cover, be sure to stick around through the credits.

As for the film, I felt overall it was a good film that was just on the edge of being a truly great one. The stop-motion animation and CGI blended seamlessly; the whole thing looked beautiful. The costumes and sets (both real and CGI) were rich and detailed. I went the whole movie trying to figure out who voiced Monkey, my favorite character, and was surprised when the credits rolled to see it was Charlize Theron. She's cornering the market on playing badass film females--human and animals alike.

• 4 months later...