Hondo's Bar

Junk email scams

The NZA

Yeah, we all get em, but some are intersestin. Lil while back there was a batch goin around about some South African delegate who wanted you, the recipient, to share his 80 kagillion in hidden gold or something. Here's one my old man - not one of the naive ones who send every @#$%in "VIRUS WARNING!!!" mail along - passed my way, gotta be garbage but interestin taht someone thought it up, i guess.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

You will receive a message on your  answering machine or your pager, which asks you to call a number beginning with  area code 809. The reason you're asked to call varies. It can be to receive  information about a family member who has been ill, to tell you someone has been arrested, died, to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc. In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there

are so many new area codes  these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.  Or, you'll get a long recorded message.  The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible

to increase the charges. Unfortunately,

when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00.

WHY IT WORKS:

The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (The  Bahamas).  The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call" number, similar to 900 numbers in the US.  Since 809 is not in the US, it is not covered by U.S. regulations of 900

numbers, which require that you be notified and warned of  charges and rates involved when

you call a pay-per-call" number.

There is also no requirement that the company provide a time period during which you may terminate the call without being charged.

Further, where as many U.S. homes that have 900 number blocking to  avoid these kinds of charges, do not work in preventing calls to the 809 area code.

We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked to call a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize  just disregard the message.  Be wary of email or calls asking you to call an 809 area code number. It's important to prevent becoming a victim of  this scam, since trying to fight the charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your

local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company.

You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Please forward this entire  message to your friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this  scam.

Sandi Van Handel

ATT Field Service Manager

(920)687-904

See, now this one's clever: no more effective way to garuntee people get intersted in your shit than spawn a group that says not to listen.

We are a concerned citizens group and we are asking you to Boycott a California hiphop group with a CD called "OUT THA TRUNK" because we feel their lyrics have gone too far.

They have a huge web following but I wont mention

the web site because I don\'t want to draw it any attention. We were sucessful from getting

OUT THA TRUNK removed from the shelves of the

Warehouse Chain. Also because of me the

FYE chain is not accepting the CD. We are trying to get the CD off the shelves at the  Rasputin Chain but have been uncessful. However they have a huge presence on the Internet and we need your help driving them off the net, and are asking you not to patronize them or buy their CD.

We will not give you their home site but some of the other sites link to their site and we can help that. OUT THA TRUNK is on the following sites:

....please write the two major hiphop radio stations that OUT THA TRUNK is submitted to for rotation in the US ...

...and so on. Clever, eh? Admit it, you have no fuckin idea who these people are yet youre curious about their lyrics. Theyre hopin for the kinda exposure 2 Live Crew got back in the day in miami when they were banned.

• 4 weeks later...