Hondo's Bar

Software - Whats the best?

TopDawg540

So I'm looking to invest in some software finally.

- Graphic design & editing to make backgrounds, logos, and random good quality images.

- GIF animation for animated smilies, web banners, and misc animated images

- 3D rendering for any worthy images i creat to be taken to the next level.

- Web design need a REAL program to completely deck out my next page.

- Game editing/creation programs for the ever evolving DD game series.

- more i haven't thought of yet. Chime in if you have ideas.

I'm hoping to get some input from anyone on the board that does any of the above with regularity on what programs they find best. Hoping to find a good all around program but if theres one that has a major specialty let me know as well.

So far I've heard good things about Bryce, Photoshop and Frontpage 2002 but I've only had limited experiance with frontpage and haven't really tried the others much at all. For the Time being I'll be grabbing free trials of anything that gets offered and :cough:borrowed:cough: software to get the hang of the ones I like until I can purchase my own copy.

So, What can you folks reccommend?

for starters? Using Kazaa or Hotline and :D the software like the rest of us, chopshop aint cheap from what im told...

but shop, ive seen so much cool shit done. Again, Jont did mine, KOS & SOF's avatars, a friend of mine did a few anime music videos, etc....im told no one knows the full extent of what that program could do, but the way i see you manipulate paint, i bet youd go :monkey: shit over the tweaking options.

I think :D or someone here used bryce. Hopefully Chief, Silent Bob & others will see this, i think they know a bit more about it...but man, if you go to buy some of these legit, i hope you got $.

So I'm looking to invest in some software finally.

- Graphic design & editing to make backgrounds, logos, and random good quality images.

- GIF animation for animated smilies, web banners, and misc animated images

- 3D rendering for any worthy images i creat to be taken to the next level.

- Web design need a REAL program to completely deck out my next page.

- Game editing/creation programs for the ever evolving DD game series.

- more i haven't thought of yet. Chime in if you have ideas.

I'm hoping to get some input from anyone on the board that does any of the above with regularity on what programs they find best.  Hoping to find a good all around program but if theres one that has a major specialty let me know as well.

So far I've heard good things about Bryce, Photoshop and Frontpage 2002 but I've only had limited experiance with frontpage and haven't really tried the others much at all. For the Time being I'll be grabbing free trials of anything that gets offered and :cough:borrowed:cough: software to get the hang of the ones I like until I can purchase my own copy.

So, What can you folks reccommend?

1) Adobe Illustrator will help you make logos. Fireworks is a good one too. Photoshop is a must have.

2) Illustrator & Fireworks can help you make gifs.

3) 3DRhino / 3DViz, AutoCAD of course, talk to architecture guys about this one.

4) Think Dreamweaver is the best out there right now. You should learn PHP, ColdFusion.

5) There are editors out there for everything. I have an editor for X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, called XVTED, it's really good. If we had a working FTP I'd upload it for you. There's ALLIED for X-Wing Alliance... Yahve says the source code for Quake 2 was made public recently. There are tons of world editors for that game. I'll get back to you about this one.

As far as DD games... a cool scripted RPG would've been nice. You'd think Nick, w/ all of his Shitty Fantasy XIIXIIXIX experience, he could've written a good storyline by now (what with all the time he spends at the boards anyways).

Hah...hey if idve seen the source code i prolly woudla given it a go, you know i always kinda wanted to write one of them.

I think Yahvne knows some PHP, no? As for CAD...seriously Mike if you wanna try that one lemme bother :D for burns, that shit's a down payment on house if you buy it new.

ps Dont rank on Shit Fantasy XIIXIIXIX unless you give it a try, PC ho! :D

That's actually IV, Easy Type...right, ill go back to my room now.

PS you dug VII. And you never played the later ones, they got cinematic, its cool...but ill agree that im eager to see non turn-based stuff.

Seriously tho, if i had the source code in front of me, you know itd be all in-jokes of the board, itd be cool. Benny said he left it with Yahven and its been gone since....

anyway, yeah Tangent Man might lay the smack-down so back to Mike's search: again, if your older chopshops dont work, lemme know, im sure there's members here with good burns of more recent ones.

As for learning it, yeah, a book - or even a class - would be cool, but i hear you can learn much just messin with it. Jont's a pro, i think Chief and Jax have messed with it a bit.

Good suggestions chief, I'll give a look into them.

And yeah if anyone has a burn of some good software, or knows of a generous trial or shareware versio I'd appreciate it. The main things i'm looking for right now is a good all around graphics program for static and animated images and a good web publishing program. I've got an older version of Frontpage but its always been pissy with me.

I plan on purchasing full versions eventually but to learn on i'll take just about anything that'll run on my machine.