Hondo's Bar

Jon Gomm

MyLeakyBucket

This is a guy from Leeds, UK who I saw in Leicester in the early part of last year.

At the time he blew me away with his unique style of guitar playing and very acomplished song-writing.

Don't want to say too much, but there is a short video on the website that's worth watching and some MP3 clips you can download if you like the style.

Trust me, you are very unlikely to have seen anyone play guitar like this before. His whole guitar is one big effects pedal and he plucks, frets and plays bass with one hand while the other plays like a bongo drum.

Enjoy.

Jon Gomm

We the site insists that's one guitar and one voice without overdubs, so I guess that leaves we with nothing to say but "wow." Haven't been that impress by guitar playing since I heard Tim Reynolds' Steam.

His vocals or lyrics are nothing to write home about, btu that guitar playing is. If he could learn to write really good songs (I'm assumign that rest of his songs are of that same caliber as that video), he could be huge.

I've seen him live and can vouch that it really is only one guy, a guitar and more talent than you could fit into a mini cooper. It's just a shame the site hasn't got more vids.

If you look at his album's tracklisting, he does a cover of Radiohead's High and Dry. When he played it it sounded like the whole band doing it, it was pretty incredible.

The song in the video doesn't do his live performance justice. He's pretty laid-back on that song, but on tohers he really hammers them out and gets a real speed going with the whole rythm.

Archived