Hondo's Bar

Vagabond

The NZA

Vagabond21.jpg

Takehiko Inoue's runaway hit Vagabond (based on the classic novel by Eiji Yoshikawa) tells the introspective tale of Miyamoto Musashi, said to be the greatest samurai who ever lived, and was also author of Go Rin No Sho, or The book of Five Rings.

In a time when Japan was just beginning its long period of peace, Musashi tried to make a name for himself by taking on every great swordsman he could find, in his quest to be "invincible under the sun". Many did not take him seriously, however, as he was a rugged boy who grew up in the mountains, and had no formal training of any kind. Given that this period saw the rise and perfection of many sword schools, Musashi had a long line of dojos to take on, and he left his home villiage a fudgitive, with only a wooden sword to do so...

Ineou's pencils are gorgeous, from Musashi's wild hair to lush backgrounds, and his action scenes are silent and well-laid out; I've read a number of samurai manga where I couldnt keep up with the fights from one panel to the next, but this one is smooth, allowing the reader to even see facial expressions, stances etc. The writing is every bit on par with this, as seemingly one-dimensional characters are fleshed out as well.

There's a few good books out right now in this vein: if you like cool characters & badass action, Blade of the Immortal is great, as is Rurouni Kenshin. But fans of the great plot, philosophy and detail of the classic Lone Wolf & Cub really shouldn't miss this one.

Ive just gotten through book 10 (he's picking up 2 swords now!), but the series is translated up to about 20 or so over here. For another look at this story, also be sure to check out the Criterion editions of the classic Samurai Trilogy, featuing Toshiro Mifune.

vagabond.jpg

• 2 years later...

Fucking right. This is a great manga.

Ha! nick!! this week came in the mail the first 2 tankoubons FOR FREE!!!... hehehe And this is just the beginning, more to come... One of the benefits of working in the comic industry...

vagabond01.jpg

vagabond02.jpg

now i have to start to translate them...

Considering the films were a trilogy and the original book was just one, i agree. thing is, the pacing never felt to me like it was dragging its nuts along, nor that there was a lotta fluff. Like Lone Wolf & Cub, mebbe its the art but even the quieter, in-between moments were strong. its just a great overall series, still one of the finest manga ive read.

• 1 year later...

So yeah, I STILL havent bought all the books from this one, because i have been buying many many other mangas. Trying to finnish some collection and trying to catch uo with some others.

Takehiko Inoue said recently that Vagabond its entering its final arc. So, the end is near. A shame, since is so good... In Japan it was released the tankoubon # 31. I honestly believe that its not gonna reach # 40.

1253712365.jpg

In the meantime, i did buy one of the 2 art books from this manga. Sumi -the one wich has all the illustrations made in ink and diferent kinds of brushes...- and I got to tell all of you. Dont wait any longer. If you can buy this! Its AMAZING!! Inoue is a great artist....

1253660638.jpg

Sumi & Water (the one that has the colour illustrations) are on sale on Amazon.

Inoue is indeed awesome, i should share the scan i took from one volume for my wallpaper, heh. i was introduced to him by my old japanese roomate who loved slam dunk.

i guess it hand to end sometime...what are they up to now, translation-wise? last i read...

miyamoto was injured after the 100 man fight, and they found him in someone's temple/house and he was being arrested.

• 4 months later...

ALELUYAAAAAAAAA!!!

A couple of weeks ago i bought the first 5 VIZBIG edition of Vagabond. And it was a great deal!! 10 bucks each!! (they're 20 in stores). And a couple days ago came out #6. So that means im in the #18 of the regular tankobon. By now the story is reaaally focused on Sasaki and im hoping we go back to Miyamoto in the next volumes.

So Nick, you're far more advanced that me in this one, but its only because Viz takes months to put on sale these big books...

congrats man, that's a great deal. i think i have up to vol 11 or so so far, waiting for a good deal past those myself.

i read up to the current issue about 3 months ago, after the 100 man fight where miyamoto was gravely injured and being arrested. i hear its draggigng ass since then but the book's known to do that, especially when dealing with whats-his-name, the talented but possibly retarded swordsman. ill get back to it soon though, so much love for Inoe.

you know the scans are up on one manga if nothing else, yeah? at least, last i checked.

Yeah I know about onemanga. But for some reason i could never get myself to read online my favourite mangas. I know that site is gold, they have: Fist of the North Star, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Zetman and many others that i always wanted to read. But im obstinated, and even if im behind and it takes me years i preffer to buy the books.

Im planning to buy Water soon... :cheers:

Archived