Hondo's Bar

The Sentry

Newtype

Is the Sentry a Superman Clone  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Sentry. The most powerful hero in marvel Universe is out of his mind, and it's great. He's a guy who's a schizophrenic (look it up) agoraphobic(look it up) , is seeing a psychiatrist, he almost destroys the world when his power went out of control, and nobody remembers him. basically its like this: The Sentry: Be Glad You’re Not Him. Nice catchphrase for a hero. Sure people say he's a superman clone, but lets face it Superman is boring, Has been for years. “I’ve seen the comments that say the Sentry is just Marvel’s Superman,” Jenkins said. “Okay, fine – I guess, for some people, that comparison is valid, but that’s the thing – if it’s Marvel’s Superman, then Marvel’s ‘Superman’ has the human dimension to it." I mean Is Superman a schizophrenic guy who drinks himself to sleep? No. Sentry is. The mold is the same but the characters are wildly different.

The problem with Superman is most of the time anything remotely interesting is done with the character, it is an Elseworlds story. Marvel's tradition is one of making the characters distinctly more flawed and human, with common everyday problems and others not so common but even more human (like schizophrenia).

NEWAVN003_COV.jpg

Not even Jim Lee and Brain Azzarello can make Superman worth reading. SENTRY001_cov.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more on the Sentry in the coming year.

Jenkins has a deal with marvel that anytime somebody wants to do something with The sentry they need to ask him first, and like shoo (*ahem*) I mean like IC said its Bendis so the Sentry may have more layer to him. Oh, one more thing who do you think the Sentry is going to rip in half next. Hope its artie and leech. :devil:

NEWAVN003_COV.jpgvsartie-leech2.jpg

What do you think about this match up IC?

The last time i saw Leech, Frank Teiri had Weapon X somehow using him, and a satellite, to take away :wolvy: 's healing factor...it was a decent story arc up to that point, then boom, just as dumb as it sounds.

Im all for it. Then again, i was bothered at first by him ripping up Carnage (ask :devil: , that used to be my boy!), then i went back & read "Carnage: Mindbomb" by Warren Ellis and thought...fuck it, im glad he's gone.

Wow...i never read that one. Cap'n had me read a bit of Spider-Carnage...at least the costume was somethin.

Still, unless he got a vertigo or Marvel MAX book, he just wasnt scary.

I fuckin loved him in his first arc, ASM # 361-363 or so. I was like the only guy who enjoyed Maximum Carnage back then too, but yeah, it got foolish pretty quickly, around "Planet of the Symbiotes".

Yeah, I get the feeling Sentry's vast & mysterious powers are gonna be a cop-out for him to travel backward around the planet Earth to turn back time. Time will tell though.

Wow...i never read that one.  Cap'n had me read a bit of Spider-Carnage...at least the costume was somethin.

Still, unless he got a vertigo or Marvel MAX book, he just wasnt scary.

I fuckin loved him in his first arc, ASM # 361-363 or so.  I was like the only guy who enjoyed Maximum Carnage back then too, but yeah, it got foolish pretty quickly, around "Planet of the Symbiotes".

Where's this mindbomb story? An ellis treatment of Carnage that sucked? But there's so much potential!! P.S I fucking loved Maximum Carnage as well, and the game for the SNES is the absolute shiz!!

No doubt, tho i never finished it...Carnage was hard as funk!

It was an Ellis one-shot, pretty distrubing shit & way better than the other one-shot but it just really showed its age si all, involved a psychiatrist trying to get into Cassidy's head, and lots of goo....i picked up the scan a while back, see if i can find it (but i think i deleted it)...

Archived