Hondo's Bar

Hondo's House of Blues

MusicManiac

blues.jpg

Started this thread to talk about everything blues... Personally I love blues music...Until I have some material for posting I'll just upload one of the songs that made me pick up a guitar when I was younger years ago. The Allmans were a blues rock band (once you get past the commercial stuff.)

Yep, Statesboro Blues, from the Allman Brothers Band- great song.

Duane Allman certainly was a master of slide guitar... played on a strat, with a little vibrato and reverb, and a lot of feeling.

In open D tuning.

Play till your fingers bleed man...

Statesboro Blues - Allman Brothers Band

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PTIDRT...EQ230I6ITISF7RV

:luigi:

gateway_logo.gif

http://www.hob.com/

House of Blues is a home for live music and southern-inspired cuisine in an environment celebrating the African American cultural contributions of blues music and folk art. In 1992, the company converted a historical house in Cambridge, Massachusetts into the original House of Blues®. They now book acts from several music genres in addition to Blues.

i couldnt get Bo Didley's "Pretty thing" out my head the other day, that and Muddy Water's "Mannish Boy".

Ive got some good tracks by Sonny Boy Willamson and Charles Musselwhite, back home.

Also, i credit Lindsay-grrl with introducing me to the magnificent Nina Simone.

-Here's a few I uploaded Nick- Give these a spin.

Ry Cooder & Taj Mahal - Statesboro Blues

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MWZVC2...XK0I1QBA0PI0QOH

Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy Live

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36CXU2U...FQ2SC8XC1FWDXBG

Ry Cooder- Slide Guitar Solo and Feelin' Blues Alright

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=08NCXGV...KU1XQSDCJDJHFJ6

:luigi::blink::music::music::music::music::music::music:

As for the Allmans, I have loved Whipping Post for years. It's a tad commercials, but it's a great blues songs, a thoasand times better then the Eagles-wannabe Ramblin' Man. The Allmans were one of those bands were the guitarists clearly played guitar all the time, maybe all day long sometims, long after thier fingers bleed. I could feel that in lots of their songs.

I agree Jack. Coolness Maximus. I got to see them twice - once with Dickie Betts and unfortunately missed him the second time around when he got locked up. They are actually playing tonight at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado ... I hope they are smart enough to put this to DVD. Red Rocks is an awesome venue.

As far Whipping Post goes... I agree Jack- that jam features one of the best guitar solos of all time...and the skins on the drums get disentigrated. Jeff Healy Band also does a cover version of this song that is simply unreal.

:luigi:

Whipping Post (Original Recording-Remastered)

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33B0YKR...2S1XNNEZ9R6T9X0

BLUES LEGEND CLARENCE 'GATEMOUTH' BROWN PASSES

736vi.jpg

GATEMOUTH

Blues Legend Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown Passes -- Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown died Saturday,in Orange, Texas after losing his battle with lung cancer and heart disease. The blues legend was 81 years old and had recently relocated to Texas after his house in Slidell, Louisiana (just outside of New Orleans) was lost to Hurricane Katrina. Brown, a Grammy winner and Blues Foundation Hall of Fame inductee, released his last album, "Timeless," just last year.

Two Gatemouth Brown tribute concerts are currently being planned and will take place in Austin, Texas and Nashville, Tennessee.

“American music, Texas style.”

That’s Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown’s four-word description of his freewheeling musical philosophy (it’s also the title of his 1999 album). A living monument to the melting pot of American regional styles, he’s been dishing up his personal gumbo of blues, R&B, country, swing, bebop and Cajun for more than half a century. Born into a musical family in Vinton, Louisiana and raised in Orange, Texas, close to the Gulf Coast, “Gate,” as he’s known to friends and fans, has been a headliner for most of his 80 years.

Along the way, he’s kept audiences rocking, swinging and two-stepping all over the world, a very thin line between Gatemouth’s bluesy style music and rock ‘n’ roll.

• 1 year later...

damn....i just caught that headline. Sad to see him go.

How to sing the Blues

by Lame Mango Washington

(attributed to Memphis Earlene Gray with help from Uncle Plunky, revisions by Little Blind Patti D. and Dr. Stevie Franklin)

1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, 'less you stick something nasty in the next line, like " I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes ... sort of: "Got a good woman - with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher - and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues are not about choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch; ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys and Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft an' state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, " adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in St. Paul or Tucson is just depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cuz you skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg cuz an alligator be chomping on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places for the Blues:

a. highway

b. jailhouse

c. empty bed

d. bottom of a whiskey glass

Bad places:

a. Ashrams

b. gallery openings

c. Ivy League institutions

d. golf courses

11. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old ethnic person, and you slept in it.

12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if:

a. you're older than dirt

b. you're blind

c. you shot a man in Memphis

d. you can't be satisfied

No, if:

a. you have all your teeth

b. you were once blind but now can see

c. the man in Memphis lived.

d. you have a retirement plan or trust fund.

13. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Gary Coleman could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

14. If you ask for water and Baby give you gasoline, it's the Blues.

Other acceptable Blues beverages are:

a. wine

b. whiskey or bourbon

c. muddy water

d. black coffee

The following are NOT Blues beverages:

a. mixed drinks

b. kosher wine

c. Snapple

d. sparkling water

15. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse, and dying lonely on a broken down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or getting liposuction.

16. Some Blues names for women:

a. Sadie

b. Big Mama

c. Bessie

d. Fat River Dumpling

17. Some Blues names for men:

a. Joe

b. Willie

c. Little Willie

d. Big Willie

18. Persons with names like Sierra, Sequoia, Auburn, and Rainbow can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

19. Make your own Blues name (starter kit):

a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.)

b. first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi,etc.)

c. last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)

For example, Blind Lime Jefferson, or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc.

(Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

20. I don't care how tragic your life: you own a computer, you cannot sing the blues. You best destroy it. Fire, a spilled bottle of Mad Dog, or get out a shotgun. I don't care.

Archived