Hondo's Bar

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

Newtype

Finally the new Robotech movie is on it's way. Go here for a sneak preview.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

Finally after 20 years, ROBOTECH is back with a vengence!

In the year 2044 AD, the human race has reached out to the stars through the miracle of ROBOTECHNOLOGY, but not without bringing intergalactic war upon the Earth itself.

A heroic cast of returning characters led by SCOTT BERNARD and VINCE GRANT fight to end a decades-long struggle against an enigmatic alien race known as the INVID. However, the mysterious disappearance of the legendary ADMIRAL HUNTER will unfold in a treacherous mystery that could tear apart our young heroes and threaten their very survival!

Featuring the voices of Mark Hamill (Star Wars) and Chase Masterson (Star Trek: Deep Space 9), ROBOTECH: THE SHADOW CHRONICLES features cutting edge CG animation beautifully composited with vibrant anime characters. Leaping forward beyond the original series, the heightened production values showcase high-definition video, 5.1 digital surround sound, and an incredible musical score performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

• 1 year later...

Nope.

I only know Robotech through the novels. Don't actually like the anime that much, especially the horrible voice acting.

This shadow chronicles seems to be looking at the Hunter mission and the final fate of the Invid. I thought that was already covered in the Sentinels books...

The first 30 minutes take place just as the war with the Invid is coming to a close while the rest of the movie goes into a new story. Sentinels was more a prequel then anything else. The Sentinels story line starts a few years before the masters show up to earth. I don't know how the books end tho.

Sentinels is 6 books. They start with Hunter's trip to the Master's world. Only The Invid invade and then Hunter's group end up taking on the INvid Regent while the Regis goes to Earth seeking the next step in existence for her race.

The 3rd generation Robotech novels covered the story the Invid on Earth. Scott Barnard leaves to find the Sentinels at the end.

Is there an anime that covers the same time period?

Sentinels covers the Invid over in the Masters' empire. Everything wraps up quite comprehensively in the last Sentinels book.

Is there an anime that covers the same time period

At first the plan was to do a new show that deals with all that but it was cancel after 1-2 eps cause of the money it would take to produce. When that happened they went ahead and wrote the novels and the comics to finsh the story. The Shadow Chronicles takes place after all that and you learn a few new things.

Well, it is a sequel to the anime based on some of the ideas that Macek originally had along with some new shit, I haven't seen it yet, but one I get some cash it is on my list.

Timeline has is set at the end of the 3rd Robotech war which is now officially like 30 years after the end of the Macross saga, this is like 10 years or so later than the novels had it, the Sentinels has already happened, and it turns out the Shadow technology was something that TR Edwards had used in his coup.

The focus is supposed to be the search for Hunter, along with a new alien baddie of some ort or another.

Regent is dead, Edwards took over, then was taken out. (This is in the prequel comics)

TSC takes place during and after Symphony of Light, don't know more specifics than that. Remember the Invid didn't really get their asses kicked, they just kinda left.

This movie is supposed to be a jumping off point for all future Robotech shit, so we'll see if it's any good. My hopes aren't all that high, but we'll see what happens.

BTW, Robotech had some of the best voice acting in the 80's, it was heads and shoulders above most shit that was being released at the time. Listen to Voltron to see what I mean. Hell, Robotech has better voice acting than most new anime released nowadays.

Right, well the last Sentinels book deals with where the INvid that left Earth in Symphony of Light ended up and then it's pretty much farewell INvid, unless they're planning to bring them back? Or I suppose this new anime could be the story of that last Sentinels book. I'ma have to re-read it, cuz I seem to remember Scott Bernard shows up at the end of the Senitnels novels.

Either way, the idea of new Robotech stuff fills me with dread. I thought that the 3 generations came together to tell a compelling COMPLETE story. WHich is AMAZING considering the fact that Robotech is a frankenstien's monster pieced togethe of various animes. Messing with that seems like asking for trouble. Even with how good Sentinels was.

Sentinels was a surprise to me, cuz it was kinda weak for most of the run but ended strongly and not only complemented the original 3 generations but added to it in unexpected and constructive ways.

You must be thinking of End of the Circle, as the last Sentinels book, Rubicon, did not cover where the Regis went at all. End of the Circle was meant to tie up the book universe but unlike Sentinels McKinney had nothing to work with insofar as where the plot was going, it was entirely his own creation. This is going to cover that same period of time, but it is an entirely new story, slightly based off of what was to be the third Robotech series.

I always thought it was a shame that the Sentinels animation got lost in the economics of the 1980's, because parts of that story were really good. I also agree that the original Robotech ended up being far better than it had any right to be.

Right, End of the Circle is exactly what I was thinking of.

So this Shadow chronicles is going to be the new 'canon' and they're setting End of te Circle aside? Or are they-

Oh fuck it. I'll just watch it when I get a chance and bitch after if I don't like it.

PS, Don't know if you're aware of this, but I read once that Jack McKinney is a pen name for two guys who co-wrote the robotech stuff together. That's why 'his' bio at the back of the books reads so weird.

Man, Wikipedia is like the internet MVP:

In 2002, with the publication of the Wildstorm (DC) comics, Harmony Gold officially decided to retcon the Robotech Universe. The following Robotech material is now relegated to the status of secondary continuity:

-The Sentinels in all its incarnations.

-Robotech: The Movie (which, in the strictest sense, never was canon)

-Robotech comics published by Comico, Eternity, Academy, and Antarctic Press.

-Robotech RPGs published by Palladium Books.

-Robotech novels written by Jack McKinney, most notably End of the Circle.

While these materials are not precisely "retired" or "removed" from the continuity, their events are subject to critical review, and are strictly subordinate to the "official" events of the 85-episode animated series (especially the Jack McKinney novels, which strayed further and further into mysticism as the Sentinels novels progressed).

Archived