Hondo's Bar

Hajime no Ippo

Lycaon

Anyone heard of/watched this?

Description from AnimeNfo.com:

George Morikawa's Hajime no Ippo (The First Step) manga published by Kodansha in Shonen Magazine is headed for a TV series anime adaptation in Japan as well as the PlayStation 2 game. Hajime no Ippo focuses on a young boxer, Magunochi Ippo.

Magunochi Ippo is an ordinary high school student in Japan. Since he spends most of his time away from school helping his mother run the family business, he doesn't get to enjoy his younger years like most teenagers. Always a target for bullying at school (the family fishing business grants him a distinct odor), Ippo's life is one of hardship.

One of these after-school bullying sessions turns Ippo's life around for the better, as he is saved by a boxer named Takamura. He decides to follow in Takamura's footsteps and train to become a boxer, giving his life direction and purpose. Ippo's path to perfecting his pugilistic prowess is just beginning ...

Its really good, very amusing. don't let its status as a sports/competition anime turn you off.

Oh, its called "Fighting Spirit" here in America.

hajime-no-ippo_wp2_800.jpg

i watched this with Spiffy back when i was boxing, too, so i thought it was really cool - main character had a lotta heart, and i was taking to the pacing, the gym itself & cast, etc - thing is, like the manga, the series is massive. I sorta stopped after a handful of episodes after i realized that, cause since Kenshin i just dont get into many anime series that are over 20-something episodes, like, say, Naruto, but i did consider revisiting this one, had a lotta fun with it.

wasnt there a PS2 game like "Victorious boxers" or something based on this?

hajime-no-ippo_wp2_800.jpg

i watched this with Spiffy back when i was boxing, too, so i thought it was really cool - main character had a lotta heart, and i was taking to the pacing, the gym itself & cast, etc - thing is, like the manga, the series is massive. I sorta stopped after a handful of episodes after i realized that, cause since Kenshin i just dont get into many anime series that are over 20-something episodes, like, say, Naruto, but i did consider revisiting this one, had a lotta fun with it.

wasnt there a PS2 game like "Victorious boxers" or something based on this?

Not that I know of, but its possible. Don't let the legnth of the series turn you of, either. It really is good. As for Naruto, they're still in filler :pinch: (when's the new season gonna start, for the love of god!).

Archived