Hondo's Bar

Warhammer 40k models

Spycer

I was totally in to the game playing part when it was introduced to me, and the assembling and painting seemed like a chore just to play a game.

Then for my birthday my brother picked me up an assault squad. Five guys, took me 4.5 hours because I started getting nit-picky on little bits of plastic sticking on, and having each arm at exactly the right angle. Once I put it down, and realized I was up far past my bed time, I realized I had been having FUN doing this chore.

And THEN I went and asked the store guys about painting. They give away one painting lesson with a free mini to anyone who asks. I spent a little over an hour on the above Marine, and loved every second of it. Now I have to get reinterested in playing the game.

Anyway, no toothpicks used. They have 3 different brushes, the smallest of which is a TINY detail brush, which is smaller than the width of the border on the shoulder pads, and is what I used to do the eyes. I thought it would be too big for the eyes, but when I got down to it, the brush is actually smaller than the eye socket space, so I had to use a stroke or two to get the whole eye.

A few pictures I dug up from many years ago. Unfortunately no recent pictures. I got a lot better at painting since then. Haven't done anything for about 2 years but I'd love to get back into it when I have the spare time. It's very rewarding doing these. Please keep in mind that these were some of the first ones I ever did and I will say "I've done way better since then" a lot. Its not fishing for compliments, its the truth, I swear!

1251784724.jpg

A conversion I did using parts from two or three different models. Cannablising metal parts is a pain the arse but it turned out pretty cool I think. This never ended up getting painted but I almost don't ever want to paint it because poor painting can drown some of the awesome detail on these models. I like the pose on this model particularly.

1251777798.jpg

A rhino transport. I've since done another one that turned out way better. The rhinos can be tricky to assemble unless you meticulously file down every fucking component and that crap just isn't fun. In case your thinking "Wow look at that awesome texturing and shit!" No sorry thats just a very thick layer of dust from sitting on my desk untouched for 6 months.

1251747584.jpg

Dark Angels Interrogator-Chaplain. The picture is really bad but this was one of the first metal character models I painted and it wasn't all that great paint-wise. I went back to it a few years later and added some detail but it still didnt look as good as it could have. Retrospect is a harsh mistress in this hobby!

1251751193.jpg

While these guys are by no means a work of art I still have a soft spot for them because they're cohesive and simple. They suffered the least of my dreaded "revisions".

1251776006.jpg

My first tactical squad. Aww! One of the guys there was originally blue until I decided to change their color scheme so he looks "fatter" than the rest from the two layers of paint haha. Its the little details on these that I love. The scopes on their gun, the scripture on their armour, the one guy holding grenades in his other hand etc etc.

A rhino transport. I've since done another one that turned out way better. The rhinos can be tricky to assemble unless you meticulously file down every fucking component and that crap just isn't fun. In case your thinking "Wow look at that awesome texturing and shit!" No sorry thats just a very thick layer of dust from sitting on my desk untouched for 6 months.

Very nice. Kinda wish the dust effect was on purpose. :sarcasm:

My first tactical squad. Aww! One of the guys there was originally blue until I decided to change their color scheme so he looks "fatter" than the rest from the two layers of paint haha. Its the little details on these that I love. The scopes on their gun, the scripture on their armour, the one guy holding grenades in his other hand etc etc.

Gotta love the detail work. Wish I had a good digicam so I could get better shots of my guys. I started watching youtube videos on how to paint, just to get more info without having to sit in the store and deal with the socially painful customers.

Very nice. Kinda wish the dust effect was on purpose. :)

Gotta love the detail work. Wish I had a good digicam so I could get better shots of my guys. I started watching youtube videos on how to paint, just to get more info without having to sit in the store and deal with the socially painful customers.

I hate to be "that guy" but painting is as easy as thinking out a solid color scheme (primary colour, secondary colour, detail colour and trim colour works best for me) and then deciding where on the model it goes. Once you have a four-colour scheme down (colour situation depending on WH40k race) it's easy as shit to paint em. Orks, Eldar and Dark Eldar being the only exceptions. They're the spikiest as it were.

Showed this to MH already in person. I painted this one myself, first one I've ever tried.

1251307941.png

1251258178.png

1251224787.png

1251267462.png

1251245191.png

Sorry it took me so long to reply. This colour scheme is awesome. Very cohesive. Contrasting colours is what you want to make your art stand out and you've found that vibe with no problem. Good job dude.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of shots of one of the marines I painted myself.

1254562469.png1254515832.png

Had to take him outside to get the cameraphone to take anything really visible.

Painted 5 others so far, hope to get decent pics up.

Comments? Hate mail?

Okay, took some pictures of the progress, finally. Sorry, it's still just my phone camera.

Remeber this guy?

1254761164.png1254786883.png

Here he is now:

1254808426.png1254769453.png1254801678.png1254821767.png

Here is the group of Space Marines together that are done, so far:

1254763988.png

And then two at a time:

1254773060.png1254852286.png1254791534.png1254807720.png

In preperation for the next major stage of this project, I painted this, just to test some of the paints and washes. Didn't want to ruin a good mini, so I grabbed a DnD mini.

1254809773.png1254820681.png1254820742.png

So what's the next big stage?

Glad you asked...

1254825986.png

• 2 weeks later...
Also, the Dreadnaught in this picture:

1249717214.png

The color scheme sucked, so I stripped the paint off him and started over.

Wowee. They look pretty sharp. I'm a sucker for metallics. Let me guess. Shining gold and ultramarine blue? I considered that for a while but went with my little green men. Almost considered doing a chaos army just so I could paint them as Thousand Sons. Cool colour scheme.

Here's a couple of shots of one of the marines I painted myself.

1254562469.png1254515832.png

Had to take him outside to get the cameraphone to take anything really visible.

Painted 5 others so far, hope to get decent pics up.

Comments? Hate mail?

Yeah natural light is your friend. I rarely painted at night unless it was something impossible to fuck up. Artificial light distorts the colours. I normally sat at my desk with a window to my right so the sun would shine on the models but not in my eyes. Good work dude.

I would really love to get back into this but having grown up in a cold country and now living in a hot one staying indoors painting models when the sun is shining just doesn't feel right. Maybe the novelty will wear off eventually.

Archived