Hondo's Bar

360 Modding and Red Ring Fix

spiffytee

well... the newest versions of the dvd drives require a separate purchase of hardware and a "probe" so I am wondering how many people here would jump on having their 360 modded to play burned games? If not enough people are interested, it's not worth it to start doing this at all. It's looking like it would be worth it if 3+ people locally (miami) jump on for $45 each... unless you are willing to pay for shipping both ways...

you will have to have a decent internet connection and dual layer writing capicity. The dual layer disks can now be had on sales for about $1 each. If the game you are trying to get is relatively new, it will come in in less than a day. Updates for the system have no effect on detecting flashed dvd drives. if you have any questions, let me know.

huh, might be good for imports & rentals.

1) how does this work with live? i mostly go online with arcade titles, just wondering what comes up for downloaded stuff.

2) how much soldering/chance for you to potentially brick my system is there?

3) how much do dual layer burners go for these days?

1) not a good idea to go on xbl. when a system gets banned, you will be able to recover your gamertag (won't lose your gold status), but the console itself is forever not allowed to go online again. there are people who are careful and keep their firmware up to date (modding again) and stealth patch their games, bragging along the way, but you always run the risk of getting banned. ms is sneaky about this. they don't ban when they catch you - they ban in a big wave; usually right before a major game release.

2) the procedure is a firmware update to the dvd rom drive. no soldiering involved. however don't think this is easy - a lot of reading and patience but it has gotten easier with the new hardware you can buy to do this kind of thing. i have updated my box numerous times, but the drive is one of the older ones that doesn't require hardware purchase. if i mess up your box, simple - i replace it.

3) i'm guessing 40 for dl burner. any computer within the last year or two has this standard.

mm. ok, but about the online thing: any idea how you're found out? i mostly play single player games, and would not intend to go online with burned multiplayer ones anyway.

hypothetically, lets say i only play online with legit XBLA or retail games, but play single player burns while connected to these internets. you're saying you can still get busted? how so?

might be down for the rest of it.

or you know... buy the game and shit instead of stealing.... that would be neat!

BTW does this let you turn your 360 into a media center like you could with the old xbox modding or just to play burned games?

*and even I think imports might be the best place to use something like this... fuck region lock outs.*

im sorry spiffy, could you speak up? i couldnt hear you over the corporate mouthpiece.

joking aside angel - all i do these days is rent games and once in a blue moon, buy a used one. from an industry standpoint, how is this any different for developers? its an honest question, less the obvious rationalization i swear. and to answer your other question, im pretty sure it doesnt bring a media service app like the old one did (could be wrong?) but doesnt the 360 already offer a decent system for this?

wow... haters! didn't make this to discuss the finer points of the morality of playing burns, but since it's here~

i believe in the economic man theory. it's like the path of least resistance to what i want to do and my wallet. yeah, people are getting the short end of the stick and it happens every day really and we all contribute to stepping on each other to better ourselves. i'm not justifying my behavior, but the reality is, i don't spend my time feeling sorry for the "victims" when i am playing my pre-released game. i'm not moral and i'm not an angel and well - if you're gonna buy that game, you are the better man. so yeah, if there's an opportunity and it's not something i'm working that hard for, do it. save that buck or make that buck.

are you really saying that when you go to work, you are going out of your way, trying to find tasks to do?

plus it's good to know what you can and can't do with what you have ain't it?

the method microsoft uses isn't totally understood. supposedly they can detect the combination of firmware and data from the media that will flag your box. it's a calculated risk you take. I don't understand why are you playing single player online?

depending on the game you are playing, it is compatible with NTSC, NTSC japan, or PAL. there is a compatibility chart for 360 games. search google: region compatibility. if i remember right its play asia or something like that.

modding plays burned games only. when the thing is fully unlocked, you have more options for media jukeboxes etc. the options for media are limited now (in my opinion) they can't even run subtitle files with avi files...

oh god you took the bait and derailed your own thread, sir. when blizzard's servers are laggy/down again next, gunsmith will have words. what have you done.

single player but online in the sense of "i can be on XBL and have people message me/etc whilst playing" is all. i like the social aspect sometimes.

wait, modded = burns only, how? so you cant play retail discs or legit XBLA games on a modded system? so confused.

oh god you took the bait and derailed your own thread, sir. when blizzard's servers are laggy/down again next, gunsmith will have words. what have you done.

single player but online in the sense of "i can be on XBL and have people message me/etc whilst playing" is all. i like the social aspect sometimes.

wait, modded = burns only, how? so you cant play retail discs or legit XBLA games on a modded system? so confused.

A modded 360 can play both originals and burns.

When the 360 is cracked all the way- like the xbox was you will be able to use the hardware to do everything from playing burns to emulating. For now, you can think of it as this: the dvd rom drive basically treats all disks inserted as retail.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah ms knows when you mod the hard drive... they don't like that.

For everyone who asks me about xbl and how ms detects you:

==============================

Wave 4 and YOU v1.2 by Kushan

==============================

A n00b's guide to everything Wave4

================

What IS "Wave 4"?

================

A regular, retail Xbox 360 disk is split into several sections or "partitions". One of these partitions is known as the "video partition". Before March 2009, this partition simply contained a video that would play if you inserted the disk into a regular DVD player, the video would basically tell you that you were an idiot and need to put it into an Xbox 360 to play it.

One of the ways Microsoft can detect you being a dirty, filthy pirate is to scan this video to make sure it matches with what is supposed to be on the disk, so to protect you, the firmware itself does a quick checksum of it and if it doesn't match with known video data, it wont boot. Every now and then, this video changed, with each change being called a "wave".

Normally, system updates (dashboard updates) are stored on a different part of the disk, taking up about 8Mb of space, however in November 2008 Microsoft launched the "NXE", a completely new Dashboard for the system. Along with the new dash came Avatars, making the whole update substantially larger (somewhere in the region of 130MB). This meant the update wouldn't fit on the disk in the same partition that previous updates were located and so instead the update was placed within the video partition. This was known as "wave 3" and hit around March 2009.

As Microsoft now distributes new Dashboard updates in the same partition, each time the 360 gets a software update, we will see a new "wave" a few months later. There was a Dashboard update in August 2009 and that is now being distributed with the latest games. This is known as Wave4. Its identical to Wave3, except the video partition now contains the August 09 Dash update. The first known game to have this was Cars Race-o-rama.

Now, its important to remember that iXtreme was designed to PROTECT you and part of that protection is the "video partition" check. When this video partition changes, the firmware doesn't know if its just a new "wave" or if its a bad rip and thus opts to not boot it.

When wave 3 hit, iXtreme 1.51 was quickly released to tackle the problem. This was a temporary fix only, the firmware simply does not do the video partition check and thus boots was supposed to boot ANY wave, up to wave 4 and beyond.

However, this in itself is "unsafe". If the disk is fine, then you'll be fine, but if the video partition is in any way corrupt, iXtreme 1.51 will still boot it and thus you could be detected by Microsoft and banned. This also is not helped by the fact that some impatient, idiotic people decided to "patch" Wave3 games with Wave2 data in order to get iXtreme 1.5 or below to boot it. This is a great way to get yourself banned and thus iXtreme 1.6 was created.

ix1.6 will only boot games that have the CORRECT video partition, up to and including wave 3. This means that if you have a Wave 3 game that was patched with a Wave 2 video partition (aka a great big bullseye for Microsoft to target), iXtreme 1.6 will not boot it but ix1.51 will.

================

Will I need a new firmware to play Wave 4 games?

================

IF you are on iXtreme 1.5 or below, Wave3 games will not boot for you and thus Wave4 games will not either. In this case, YES you need to update your firmware!

IF you are on iXtreme 1.51 (Hitachi), then ANY wave will boot fine, including Wave4 however you must be EXTRA careful as you are not protected against corrupt or incorrect video partitions. This is one of the many reasons to always use abgx360. If a game is fully verified, playing it on iXtreme 1.51 is just as safe as playing it on iXtreme 1.6 - this includes Wave4 games.

IF you are on iXtreme 1.51 (BenQ/LiteOn/Samsung), then YES you need to update your firmware!

IF you are on iXtreme 1.6, you can ALSO play Wave 4 and above games, however you need to use a special activation disk to do so. This was added to the firmware specifically for this eventuality - the disk activates "one-shot-boot" mode, essentially it allows iX1.6 to boot any game you insert into the drive, even if its not properly stealthed. You simply insert the disk into the drive, let it spin up (it will say "play DVD"), then swap in your Wave4 game. You will need to do this each time you want to play a Wave 4 (or above) game. Don't worry, if the game has all the necessary stealth data, then iX1.6 will still use it, so if you boot a VERIFIED Wave4 game using this method, you should be just as safe as you were booting a verified wave 3 game.

And needs to be burned to a DUAL LAYER disk, but entirely on the first layer (do not set a layerbreak and when imgburn prompts, tell it to burn to the first layer only).

A new iXtreme firmware will eventually be released with strict wave4 support (no activation disk needed), however some time needs to pass before this happens. Although Cars: Race-o-Rama was the first game to appear in the wild with Wave 4 video, it was not necessarily the first game to be pressed with it. Also, during a wave transition there are often a few exceptions to the process which also need to be known about. There will be no timeframe for this, so do not ask.

================

What about abgx360? Will that need to be updated?

================

abgx360 v1.0.1 (latest as of time of writing) does not recognise a "wave 4" image and will report a POSSIBLE corrupt/bad PFI/Video partition, however the program is actually still completely compatible with Wave 4 games. Once a Wave4 title is verified, abgx360 will still download the .ini from the database and fully check out the image. If the image matches and the game is verified, then it has also passed the stealth checks and thus it is as safe to play as any wave3 or wave2 game.

abgx360 v1.0.2 will be released with full Wave4 recognition in a similar manner to the new iXtreme; that is once the transition date is known and any exceptions are noted.

iXtreme is the flashed dvd drive firmware that plays your "special" discs. remember, it's the dvd drive that is modified here.

at this point, iXtreme 1.6 is the latest version. if you have a hitachi drive, the highest is 1.5, but plays everything. 1.6 will play everything except games that aren't "Verified" stealth to keep you from being detect on xbl. There is a workaround for these unverified games on 1.6, and that's to use a bootdisc.

abgx360 scans your computer dvd and iso (files) for the game and identifys the game's stealthness, mabye it patches it with stealth too not sure. so, make sure you get the correct version of what you want!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a new update:

Everyone that's got any other drive than what is pictured, you don't have to wait till I get three people. I can get started on yours immediately and be done in about 15 minutes. The more I read about it, the more I believe that you can go on live without being detected as long as you keep yourself informed (xboxscene). I'll update your firmware free if I did your box previously.

If you have what is pictured below with yellow wires, you have the liteon drive.

benqorliteon360drive.jpg

I also do red ring repair which works 99% of the time. Takes longer than a flash cause it's more involving which i'll do for $60. If you don't have a falcon or newer, expect this to happen if it hasn't already.

I've done quite a few of both already.

Microsoft’s recent mass banning of users of modded consoles from Xbox Live apparently did not go far enough – banned users are now learning that they can no longer use their console’s HDD for any meaningful purpose, with installation to the drive no longer possible on a blacklisted console…

An abridged description of the changes:

Firstly, and most obviously, you cannot connect to Xbox Live on this console any more. This means no more game updates (aka title updates), XBLA games, marketplace content, netflix/sky player and so on. There is no way around this, all online capabilities are now disabled PERMANENTLY.

Hard Drive installs are now disabled on the banned console. This means any disk-based games you have will no longer play off of the hard drive.

There is no way to fix this, that functionality is simply gone from the banned 360.

Windows Media Centre functionality is disabled. It is still possible to stream video/music content via the video library.

So, in summary:

Your Banned 360:

* Cannot go on Xbox Live

* Cannot install games to the HDD

* Cannot use Windows Media Centre extender

* Cannot be used to get achievements from backups without corrupting your profile

With no warranty, Internet access, or even hard drive, it might have been kinder just to “brick” the consoles and render them entirely inoperative…

yeah, they become single-player game machines, thats it. i was surprised at the game installs thing, i use that feature a lot.

seriously though, MS doing this right before MW2...its pretty sharp of them. those $100 arcade machines are gonna see a spike in banned user sales. about the only potential downside for consumers is the flood of banned/mostly useless boxes that are inevitably hitting gamestop/ebay etc.

where are you quoting from? nonetheless, i am still hearing of people going on live. this is probably cause they have a good source of where to get their games. read up on xbox-scene. otherwise it's people playing modern warfare 2, a wave 4 game that requires you use a boot. you know, there's a reason you have that extra layer of protection.

* Cannot go on Xbox Live

* Cannot install games to the HDD

* Cannot use Windows Media Centre extender

* Cannot be used to get achievements from backups without corrupting your profile

Not sure what that last one is, but 2 is a let down. but read here and you don't have to worry about #2

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=695683

and media center extender kinda sucks so whatever. 1 is obvious

Thanks for the update and of my 4, I'm glad i don't have a banned console.

Archived