Hondo's Bar

The Smiths

The NZA

41Q1MXKWBBL._SS500_.jpg

This is one of those "surprised we dont have a thread for them" groups, i know there's Hondonian fans. I think its hard to have not heard them at one time or another - i first did when a chick from my youth (big punk fan, usually) would play them in between Bad Religion sets, but i never really payed it much attention. Years later, one of Heartless' mixtapes would have "This Charming Man" on it, and it'd stand out, but Senshik's such a fan, she loops them between Thievery Inc and the Aquabats, so it was hard to not pay more attention to Morrissey's haunting vocals and their overall style.. With a final push from Suda 51, i sat down with a few albums but mostly their last double-disc greatest hits one, Sound of the Smiths.

So yeah, kinda surprised id not payed more attention at any other point in the past, i know they're pretty standard fare for many but i can see why, they're really good. Even LL's maddening habit of looping the crap out of "How soon is now" didnt kill the song for me, which is impressive. "Hand in Glove", sen's favorite "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", so many greats so far. Its hard not to love this guy's lyrics, too.

so yeah, talk about them and shit.

17 views and no replies reads to me like ya'll are either educating yourselves on Suda51, or looking for some muzak. my fault, including songs should really be customary these days on any band thread! here's some of what i mentioned:

"This Charming Man" (I havent got a stitch to weeear....)

"How soon is now?"

"Heaven knows I'm miserable now" (I was looking for a job, then i found a job...)

dig it. Morrissey fans, recommend me some shit!

Yeah, when it comes to new-wave era pop rock bands, few sound as good 25 years later as the Smiths. Besides the ones you mentioned, I also really dig Girlfriend in a Coma, Panic, Bigmouth Strikes Again, Ask, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, William It Was Really Nothing and The Boy With The Thorn In His Side. Alot of people talk about Morrissey's voice, and rightfully it's a big part of what made the Smiths' sound unique, but I also really dig Johnny Marr's guitar playing. Very clean sound. Kind of REM jingle jangley levels, but Marr is a much more talented guitarist than Peter Buck. I have their compilation "Singles" which seems to have all the songs your "Sound of the Smiths" minus 5 tracks. I've thought about getting one of their albums, either The Queen is Dead or Meat Is Murder, but haven't yet. If there's one thing that will never go out of fashion though, it's Morrissey's hair style, am I right Nick?

heh, i like how more recent pics show he hasnt abandoned the style. if i had jokes, they wouldnt apply past the 10 year mark.

heard a few of those off said album (i gotta finish it tomorrow), surprised junker/MH or someone didnt chime in but ive heard good about Meat is Murder as well as Queen is Dead, guess you'd have to check and see which has more tracks you'd not heard yet? also, your bit of trivia helped me solve this age-old mystery. and yeah, i see what you're saying about the strings.

still wondering where to start with Morrissey's solo stuff.

I love The Smiths, besides hearing Stop Me (if you think you've heard this one before) and How Soon is Now on the radio growing up, I really didn't know much about them until I reached the ripe old age of 18. Then I started listening to Morrissey, but it just wasn't the same. I like Morrissey and all, but i really think he reached his peak with The Smiths.

this makes me wonder if we have a Joy Division thread....

Archived