Hondo's Bar

Expensive toys and hobbies...

spiffytee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some asshat paid 13k for an old Nintendo game. I'm so glad I'm not rich enough to act this ignorant. Eh, whom am I kidding, I'd love to be rich enough to act that ignorant...

Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

by Mike Smith

February 10 4:31 P.M.

Everyday folk discovering colossally valuable collectors' items amid everyday junk has been the lifeblood of antiques shows for years, but it's not every day you see a real-life gold-in-the-attic tale play out on eBay.

Last week, North Carolina eBay user lace_thongs35 thought she was putting up an everyday, 80s-era Nintendo Entertainment System (together with five games) up on the popular auction site. But less than an hour after the first bid, the price was over $6,000 -- and on Wednesday, when the auction closed, the final selling price topped $13,000.

Why? Not the console itself, but one of the games bundled with it -- a deeply obscure 1987 release called Stadium Events, a highly sought-after collectors' item. But it wasn't even the game itself that was worth the bulk of the money -- it was the original cardboard box, which collectors value at a breathtaking $10,000. Fewer than 10 complete copies of the game are thought to exist, and retro gaming aficionados consider it one of the hardest-to-find NES games ever made.

WTF?!? sold by lace_thongs35 nonetheless.

i bet i could get this at a garage sale for less than $50.

might be, might not. according to video game prices, that's like the only example found of that cartridge, making it rare as fuck....although they did previously note it at being worth 1k. huh.

anyway, the NES championship carts go for $17k depending on how rare the variant.

Archived