Hondo's Bar

Marlins' New Stadium On Track for 2012

Benz

First, Link

Second, here's a link to the webcam they're talking about so you can watch the progress of the new stadium that the Miami people have bought with their taxpayer dollars: Here It looks pretty cool so far.

Marlins' new stadium remains on schedule

Countdown to 2012 continues for Majors' next attraction

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

04/03/10 10:00 AM ET

This is part of an MLB.com/Marlins.com exclusive series with team president David Samson chronicling the progress and developments of the new retractable-roof stadium that is scheduled to open in 2012. Throughout the series, which will run twice monthly, fans are encouraged to e-mail David with their thoughts.

JUPITER, Fla. -- The Marlins bid farewell to the Roger Dean Stadium complex on Thursday, wrapping up the franchise's eighth year in Jupiter, and the team is preparing for Monday's season opener against the Mets at Citi Field.

With the end of Spring Training comes the beginning of the regular season.

"The funny thing about Spring Training is, every year I love coming and I love going," Samson said. "Because, when you start, it means Spring Training is here, and it's time to get going. But when you leave, it's time to play.

"All of our guys are ready. When you get to the last week of Spring Training, you want to stay healthy, and you just want to get to Opening Day."

At Roger Dean Stadium, Florida plays in a first-class facility. And when the club arrives in New York, it will play in a state-of-the-art ballpark that opened in 2009.

The Marlins' home opener will be at 7:10 p.m. ET on April 9 at Sun Life Stadium, when the Dodgers visit for a three-game series.

(Sun Life, Joe Robby/Pro Player/Dolphin Stadium's gayest name yet.)

From the club's perspective, Friday will restart the countdown, as the team moves closer to moving into its own ballpark in 2012.

"It's our second-to-last home opener at Sun Life," Samson said. "When you see those teardown numbers on the outfield wall, before this year ends, the number will be below 100. Once you get to double digits in games, you realize the clock is ticking."

Construction is more than 30 percent completed on the 37,000-seat, retractable-roof ballpark rising from the ground in the Little Havana section of Miami. All developments at the site can be viewed on the New Ballpark webcam.

"What I'll be thinking about most on Opening Night is how much still has to get done," Samson said. "The cooperation right now between the city and county and the team, it's been tremendous. What's going on is historic, and it's going to continue to grow. Once Opening Day comes, the season goes by so quickly."

Over the past week, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has toured the new ballpark, receiving updates and offering his input.

Some of the finer details being addressed are tile patterns in restrooms, and what the glass outside the building will look like.

"We took the time to go room by room with Jeffrey," Samson said. "We really looked at the geometry of the building, and spent a lot of time looking at the roof construction.

"The roof is getting ready. The final decision was made this week on what color the underside of the roof will be."

Thus far, the project remains on schedule and on budget.

With the new ballpark on the horizon, Major League Baseball is considering awarding South Florida a future All-Star Game. The earliest likely date is 2015.

On Thursday, MLB president and COO Bob DuPuy was in South Florida, and he noted that the market is on the league's radar.

"As has been talked about repeatedly, the Commissioner has been committed to rewarding communities with All-Star Games for persevering and getting new ballparks," DuPuy said.

Commissioner Bud Selig and Loria have had several discussions about the Marlins hosting the All-Star Game in the near future. DuPuy and Samson have had similar conversations.

"I know Jeffrey has talked with the Commissioner. David and I have talked about it," DuPuy said. "I'm confident that South Florida will be in the queue."

Some more immediate issues being addressed concern roof construction.

Plans are for the roof to start rising in July. Over the past few months, giant roof track beams have been hoisted atop the giant super columns that will support the structure. The roof is going to be built on the west side, and rolled to the east side.

A source of pride for the project is the high number of local workers who have been hired to build the ballpark.

"Things are going very well. Our February numbers are out and we have completely passed all of our numbers and mandated goals for local participation," Samson said. "We are on budget and on time. It's been a good week."

Shortly after the home opener, a group of eight Marlins officials will head to Minnesota to observe the regular-season opening of Target Field, the new home of the Twins.

Target Field is the last new ballpark to open before the Marlins' stadium debuts in two years. Twins president Dave St. Peter has extended a welcome to Florida officials who will be at the April 12 opener.

"I wanted to give a special mention to Dave St. Peter of the Twins," Samson said. "They are the last ballpark to open before ours. Dave knows how hard it is and how much work goes into the opening of a ballpark. I want to thank Dave publicly. He's been terrific, and we can't wait to visit their ballpark on April 12."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

shit. i hope they have better luck than joe robby/others have here. i still dont know what's going on with the former Orange Bowl site.

Ask and ye shall recieve:

The new ballpark's footprint will have a south-east orientation, with unobstructed views of Miami's skyline made possible by six operable glass panels. The ballpark will be located on the parcel of land bordered by NW 6th Street to the north, NW 4th Street to the south, NW 16th Avenue to the west and NW 14th Avenue to the east. With a capacity of approximately 37,000 seats, the retractable roof, air-conditioned ballpark will be built on 928,000 square feet on the former Orange Bowl site. The ballpark will celebrate Opening Day in April 2012 and will attract a wide variety of events throughout the entire calendar year.

(That's on the Webcam page up above, you can watch what they're doing with it.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Are they! Man, there's some Cuban political groups that are calling for his job and will boycott all home games until his ousted. Motherfuckers ain't playing around with this. Me, personally, I'm over it. He apologized. Freedom of speech and all that, but even I know (and agree) you can't say that in this town. There's been ONE game in the new stadium. Oh, Miami...

Archived