Hondo's Bar

What should i make first?

Lipala

The Choices  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmm, this looks like a menu at some hipster, vegan South Beach joint Jax would visit in order to not pick up any women.:2T:

And Jambalaya would be the easiest out of those choices, so I voted for first. I'm curious as to how it's taste w/ beans as I can't really recall ever eating it w/ beans, let alone a mix of red and white beans (kidney and lima beans for you-non Southern Hondonians). Chicken & sausage yes, beans no. But it could be interesting...

As requested, the first recipe.

Potato and Kale Enchiladas With Roasted Chile Sauce

Prep and Cook Time: 1 Hour

Soy free and Gluten Free

Serves 4 To 6

Enchilada Chile Sauce

2 tbsp grapeseed oil

1 onion, cut into small dice

3 large green chiles (Anahaeim, Italian style long green peppers, whatever you like), roasted, seeded, peeled, and chopped coarsely

2-3 tsps chile powder, preferably ancho

1 1/2 tsps ground cumin

1 tsp marjoram or epazote

1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes with juice (roasted preferred)

1 tsp sugar

1 1/2 - 2 tsps salt

Potato and Kale Filling

1 pound waxy potatoes (Yukon gold or red)

1/2 pound kale, washed, trimmed and chopped finely

4 cloves of garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 cup vegetable broth or water

3 tbsp lime juice

1/4 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), chopped coarsely, plus additional for garnish

1 1/2 tsps salt or to taste

12 - 14 corn tortillas

Directions

Prepare the sauce first by, in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions in oil for 4 to 7 minutes until softened. Add the remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a simmer, and remove from the heat. When the mixture has cooked enough, taste and adjust the salt if necessary. Puree with an immersion or regular blender until the mixture is smooth and even.

Prepare the filling by peeling and dicing the potatoes, then boil them until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside. Cook the grapeseed oil and minced garlic in a sauce-pot over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the garlic is sizzling and slightly browned. Add the kale, sprinkle with a little salt and raise the heat to medium, stirring constantly to cover the kale with the oil and garlic. Partially cover the pot to steam the kale until it has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and mix in the potatoes, vegetable stock, lime juice, pumpkin seeds, and salt. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the potatoes. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until the stock is absorbed. Add more salt or lime juice to taste.

Have ready a pie plate filled with about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, a casserole dish, a stack of corn tortillas, a lightly greased, heated griddle or cast-iron pan, and the potato and kale filling. Ladle a bit of the sauce onto the bottom of the casserole dish and spread it around. Take a tortilla, place it on the heated griddle for 30 seconds, flip, and heat until soft and pliable. Drop the softened tortilla into the pie plate filled with sauce, allowing it to get completely covered in sauce. Flip the tortilla and coat the other side. Place the tortilla in the casserole, optionally, place a second tortilla over top the first. Run the potato filling down the middle and roll it up. Continue with the rest of the tortillas, tightly packing enchiladas next to each other. Pour about a cup of sauce over the top, reserving some ofr later. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 to 15 minutes until the edges of the tortillas are poking out of the sauce look browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Top individual servings with any remaining enchilada sauce warmed slightly.

Well Shepherdess pie got pushed back, I forgot some ingredients :P

In the meantime I'm baking some vegan mac n cheese tonight with pics to follow. Apologies, I forgot to have an extra set of hands available and accidentally burned the garlic when sauteeing so thats what the little black bits will be. Its only slightly burned....

Archived