Hondo's Bar

Bulletstorm

Maldron

Bulletstorm is the best fucking FPS I've ever played. It has also encouraged me to swear more often.

Seriously, I want to just leave it at that. The game's predicated on the assumption that you are bored with playing FPS games where you cower at the sight of every enemy, taking slow potshots over cover at people's heads as they also peek behind cover. To show everything that they are against, they created Duty Calls, a short free to download game whose entirety can be viewed here.

It is refreshing. It is awesome. I would recommend each and every one of you people play it, if not own it outright. It has even been granted classification in Australia, which means no winging necessary!

God I love this game.

*wings anyway*

Wasn't dazzled by the demo as I felt like I owed more love to The Club, and frankly this isn't breaking a lot of new ground. But then discovered last night that Adam's slinging me a copy on PC, so if it's worthwhile I'll make a legitimate purchase of it.

*wings anyway*

Wasn't dazzled by the demo as I felt like I owed more love to The Club, and frankly this isn't breaking a lot of new ground. But then discovered last night that Adam's slinging me a copy on PC, so if it's worthwhile I'll make a legitimate purchase of it.

So, you weren't dazzled because you enjoyed a third person title with similar aims made years ago, but not enough to actually have given it its due?

I don't think it's new ground, I do think it's a heap of new paint on the old way of things leading up to one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with a gun in my hand. It's from the nice folks who did Painkiller, which received heaps upon heaps of praise.

whinging? Whatever that term is for complaints.

Way to ruin the illusion of Wing becoming a new verb.

Yeah please don't let my comments reflect any implied shortcomings of the game, I have this hangup where I wanted to like The Club more and feel bad for not, and accordingly I'd feel worse for liking this usurper to the arcade shooter crown. As stated though, free copy coming my way after which I shall make a more qualified statement, moreso than my current 'yes I'm aware of the thing'.

Now I can't see this Duty Calls thing you posted from work, but aside from being a refreshing change from cover-based shooters, what's taken you so hard with this thing? You're generally fairly nuetral about stuff.

The sheer gleeful joy that oozes from the title. The story is actually good, which is something I wouldn't have said going into it, but there is a serious character story down in the muck of it.

I think it's just... it takes the absurdity, and says "Yes, this is absurd, but it's a very real threat all the same" approach to everything. A lot of times, these crazy things try to take themselves seriously, and it's... weird how this game clearly does and doesn't at the same time.

But on top of that, I've been completely bored with the FPS for a long while now. Each of them play the same, your goal is headshot headshot headshot cover. In this game, I set a drill spinning, slide through two enemies amidst a pack of five, and get a popup on the screen that says "Drilldo +500." I don't have to fear for cover and staying safe, I don't cower, I just completely wreck a bunch of enemies with an arsenal. And there's still a threat. The challenge is making sure you get points. In the campaign, the points are tied into a system that decides whether you get restocked or not. Ammo costs more on higher difficulty modes, in addition to the extra damage you take. So you have to get as many points as possible to ensure you can restock your weapons and keep progressing unhindered.

It's fun, really. I'm not neutral because when playing it, I'm having fun. I laughed at the story, I gleefully cut through swaths. There's a story-related weapon exclusive area i don't want to spoil that is also awesome. I've had fun, so I can't be neutral.

Archived