Hondo's Bar

The X-com Legacy

Visitant

I don't know about you but I have several games in my life that I just have to play once a year, like going back to a good book or a playing an album from your youth. Once a year I will play (In no particular order) Bionic Commando for the NES, Castlevania SOTN and the original X-com game.

For those of you unfamiliar with the franchise, (shame) X-com started its life in 1994 created by Microprose studios and was a strategy game where the world was being invaded by aliens and you had to fend them off to secure funding from the worlds governments to continue research on the invasion and eventually take the fight to them. It had 2 main game play areas: 1.) The battle map (cities, countrysides and even alien bases established on Earth) and 2.) the map of the world where you built bases and conducted your research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0Cm3N_n6k

(The intro from the first X-com game, Enemy Unknown)

It is extremely difficult and is praised as one of the greatest strategy games of all time.

There were many sequels to the series as well as spin-off games that went from space flight sims to even 3rd person action shooters. Many of them bombed but X-com loyalists kept the faith that someday we'd get another X-com as amazing the the original.

The year is 2012.

Several years back we got word of X-com being remade into a first person shooter by 2k Marin who was responsible for the second Bioshock game. Taken out were all the aliens we came to know and love/hate over the years and in its place we are taken not to an alternate Earth future, but a pulpy 50s sci-fi Earth where the government is struggling to figure out what this alien menace actually is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPG-SVPNTMM&feature=related

Recently we found out that this game has been pushed back until 2013 but that we wouldn't have to wait that long for more X-com love. Firxas studios working with Sid Meiers is developing a remake of the original X-com: Enemy Unknown. While making tweeks like changing the UI and making it (at a base level) more accessible for people while still keeping the game as challenging as it once was.

gi_grab.png

So I'm curious. How many of you out there have played the older X-com games? Those of you who haven't, based on what you've read here or somewhere else, does this strike you as a franchise you'd be willing to jump into?

Also feel free to post any fun X-com war stories here.

Yep, the new one looks to be the shit. I can't wait for it to come out. Even if it is a complete deviation from most of the series roots, it still looks cool. Though an update of older game would be cool. Really only the Men at War series is still doing that whole Jagged Edge/Fallout/X-Com kinda squad based action. A genre that could definately use a few high class entries.

Archived