Hondo's Bar

The Real Captain America

Jumbie

Hmm... Well this does definitely look very interesting indeed, That should be a very good series but I don't think they should make the leap to movie just yet. Aside from the fact that all previous attempts at a captain america movie have been some of the most horrendous products ever spewed from the bowels of hollywood, I think putting out a major movie based on a spin off of a well known hero might not be taken well.

Granted the comic will probably sell well comics have a niche market, word of mouth spreads and comic fans take the series as intended and can enjoy it. Most of the lovely and highly intelligent movie theater folks passing by a poster would proclaim... "Who the hell cast Cap as black? They even know who he is? If they screwed that up the rest of it must really blow." or something equally profound.

Comic movise are just now being accepted as a good movie genre, I think this one might just be a little too early in coming yet.

Couldnt read the article over here, im assuming its about Captain America: The Truth, the book's only 1 issue in so far but its lookin interestin. Some folks arent happy bout the book but im glad Marvel's CEO & Editors have the balls right now to do stuff like this.

Ill update more when I'm online and another book is out (Im assumin there was an idea of a movie here? If so, do it, and do it well - let the racist masses have a shot at a particularly interestin comic film).

• 1 month later...

i am personaly not a fan of this truth comic. the concept does two things that i plainly just can't stand. 1 the idea revolves around the notion that whitey would never start testing out such a serum on a fellow white man. that shit is just racist. let's just say for arguement proposes that whitey was worried about makeing a super blacky. 2 this is just a shock value book that undermines captain america all together. i say this cause if captain america is the benefactor from someone else's pain then he is not much better than the good doctor.

i like captain america in act the ultimate version of captain america is one of my favorite characters of all time and i just hate to see some crap like this. it's reasons like these that will make me switch rom comics to books.

ps: the art sucks. read it at "marvel.com"

I disagree....the art's not traditional but decently fitting for the story/period.

Youve actually read through it? Its an interestin story so far, and the way our army worked around that time - remember there were still seguragated brigades around WW II - i could see it being done that way, racist or not.

I dont think it does anythin to Cap as a character either, becuase he prolly has no idea what happened before him.

Interesting too, cause the traditional fans are more upset about what's been going on in the recently relaunched Captain America series - have you got to check that one out yet? I think you'd like the art in that one...writing's pretty good too, pick up the trade if you can. Cap's done some slightly different things there, made some fans whiny but im happy to see the character finally evolving.

Id normally argue bout the "shock value" thing with this book and the Rawhide Kid/gay one, but if youve actually read the 2 books of the series so far then i cant argue with that. Ill tell you this tho: oughta be happy if it brings some attention to comics tho, eh?

• 1 month later...

that must be it i'm narrow minded because i'm tired of this repetative crap. sure captain america has never done it but it's always the white man the evil white man. yeap he's always got something up his sleve always. it's really not intersting any more to me because its flat out racist. aside from the racist problem i have with this issuse this comic is doing what comics shouldn't do but always do. when a character sells or is at least popullar they'll make a whole army based on that character's profile. this black captain america is just another war machine, or maybe worst still he's a token black guy for marvel's quota. i ask you was it cool when gi joes came out with 50 or so ninja troops. i really don't think so and in the same fashion this isn't cool.

i'm all for public atention on the comic world but i'm more for a quality product.

Hey, youe still alive...

Well i cant say ive seen the idea that much in comics (certainly in movies) but after the last issue i read i wasnt as hyped, and was willing to admit the art isnt fitting like it seemed it might....im hopin it turns out better by its end.

The Joe Ninja thing...nah outside of the Spidey clone thing i dont think we'll see anythin like that, hopefully.

But i remember, we used to always debate this stuff...you felt the same way on the recent comic movies, that it was good they got some attention but they didnt have to be mediocre.

I still say you were harsh on X-Men but there were plot points where Spidey & Daredevil couldve been better.

Anyway, the book's premise didnt really strike me as racist as much as portrayin the times, but according to Wizard there's a lotta people writing in to Marvel callin the book racist, so you aint alone there anyway.

no stan lee's black batman isn't rasisct because the story doesn't say that white batman came after balck batman. the stan lee's just imagine have nothing to do with the actual characters in the dc universe. they are just a side story. but stan lee's writeing style is based on racial assumptions.

it's hard to write a black character because they are seldom written as a normal character. there is always some sort of preset mind set on what they should be like. why can't there be a black character where the fact that he is black isn't the main consept behide the character.

There are, in more independent titles anyway. I never read much War Machine (that was Chief's department), not sure if they used the minority card for leverage with the character or not...I can see what youre sayin tho, creating black characters who, at their core, are mostly just black, does come off somethin of racist itself. Im thinkin The Ultimates' Nick Fury is actually doin ok with that.

Anyway, nothin this cap series can do would offend me as much as some of Stan Lee's Imagine shit. Five bucks a pop, to have that greedy old fuck teabag me with stories about more wrestlers... :D