Hondo's Bar

Interstellar

Now that he's completed The Dark Knight Trilogy, Christopher Nolan is set to tackle a full-on sci-fi flick with Interstellar. The film was written by Jonathan Nolan and will feature time travel, alternate dimensions and more. Read on for details!

Josh Wilding - 1/9/2013

981931839183919.jpg

Memento, The Prestige, Inception. All of these Christopher Nolan helmed movies are as good as (if not better than) his The Dark Knight Trilogy, so you may want to start getting excited about the news that his next project will be Interstellar for Paramount and Warner Bros.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, he will direct and produce the Jonathan Nolan penned screenplay which "involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole." It's apparently based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Nolan is said to be very close to wrapping up the deal, so there is obviously no word on a cast or release date at this point.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...rh1S2ACU2Y0s.99

Until he gives me a reason to doubt him, I'll be automatically on board for anything he does (I still haven't seen Insomnia, but I heard it was good). This is why I feel pretty good about Man of Steel. He's produced it, along with writing the story with David S Goyer, with whom he co-wrote the Dark Knight trilogy.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in line with you Jax. I have seen Insomnia but that was when it first came out, I can't remember much about it, but I do remember liking it, it's 93% on rottentomatoes as well. I also trust Man Of Steel will be good primarily because of his involvement (Snyder doesn't hurt though). I'm delighted that they're finally moving on from the Donner movies, they ahve to be some of the most overrated movies in history.

• 2 months later...

Matthew McConaughey Offered Lead Role In Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

76599.jpg

The Dark Knight Trilogy director Christopher Nolan has reportedly offered the male lead of his upcoming sci-fi film Interstellar to Matthew McConaughey (Magic Mike, Lincoln Lawyer).

Paul Romano - 3/28/2013

53949L.jpg

After completing The Dark Knight Trilogy last summer, Christopher Nolan will be tackling science fiction for his next project, Interstellar. According to Deadline, the acclaimed writer-director is courting Matthew McConaughey (recently seen in Magic Mike) to take on the male lead role in the Paramount/Warner Bros. co-production. The name of the character is Cooper, and there's no word on whether McConaughey will sign on yet. Interstellar, which has a release date of November 7th, 2014, was originally written by Chris' brother Jonah for Steven Spielberg (who was then attached to direct). The script was inspired by physicist Kip S. Thorne and his theory about wormholes and time travel. When Chris Nolan signed on to direct earlier this year, he also began writing his own script that merged with Jonah's. Interstellar follows "a heroic interstellar voyage to the farthest borders of our scientific understanding." Do you think Matthew McConaughey is a good choice to star?

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=76599#8qBizSfdvFFU3SpG.99

So far all we know about Christopher Nolan's upcoming Interstellar is that it will star Matthew McConaughey and involve wormholes and alternate dimensions, and although EW ask the director about the project in their excellent article on the lasting influence Stanley Kubrick, it looks like it's gonna stay that way for a while longer! But, Nolan does name a few sci-fi movies that he may well be looking to for inspiration. "I think anytime you look at science fiction in movies, there are key touchstones. Metropolis. Blade Runner. 2001," Nolan continues. "Whenever you’re talking about getting off the planet, 2001 is somewhat unavoidable. But there is only one 2001. So you don’t want to get too near to that." Nolan goes on to talk about his love of Kubrick - and 2001 in particular - going so far as to say that some of the late director's imagery makes him "embarrassed" with his own work.

bonecut.jpg

"You look at the [bone-throw] cut in 2001, this vast jump forward — the confidence that takes to do that is actually enormous. Would I love to do things like that in my own work? Yes. But I don’t think I have the confidence to do that. Which is why there is only one Stanley Kubrick. I do believe he is inimitable. But you can be inspired. You can be inspired to aspire to be that confident."

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=77131#mBbBBoMULejWfRZL.99

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The server purge of 2014 ate some good discussion on this, so ffwd to having seen the actual film... I really enjoyed it. So did Neil deGrasse Tyson apparently.

It reminded me of a really great ST:TNG episode in how it focused more on the science and less on the action. From the trailers you can see it's a visually beautiful film and w/ his recent streak on True Detective and Dallas Buyer's Club, it should also come as no surprise that McConaughey delivers a great dramatic performance. Jessica Chastain surprised me though with her role. A lot of great smaller roles and nods/homages or flat out tropes from sci-fi films and the genre in general are in the film. However, none of it felt repetitive to me.

The Beginning

So there is a lot this film asks you as an audience member to accept before it goes out there in to the great vastness of space. And it did make me a bit antsy with how long the first act was lagging on, but it paid off in the end by giving you a greater connection to protagonists.

The film begins with a former astronaut and engineering whiz named Cooper, played by McConaughey, who is now a farmer trying to do the best he can. There is no more war because apparently there are no more militaries. A blight is killing all of the crops on earth, so farmers are the most important people on the planet now. There seems to be some sort of Luddite, revisionist movement going on disparaging the use of machines in society at large. Cooper and his daughter, Murphy, “rage against” these theories and beliefs. Some heavy handed foreshadowing is laid down here, but it’s done interestingly enough.

The Middle

So, we finally get off planet and a lot of the plot is predictable here, but I like how this film explores basic questions about love and human survival—as individuals and species—so I was more entertained by the “big picture” questions being asked by the film than the actual plot. There’s also a lot of interesting science going on and it definitely made me want to research a few things to see how much was fiction and how much was fact. The tropes with the docking sequence, sassy robot, and crew at odds are all here, but again they were done so well and the whole “time as a resource” factor gave the adventure enough of a new twist to keep me engaged even throughout those, "Yep, I saw that one coming a mile away,” moments.

The End

I think there will be people that snicker at the blackhole sequence, and those will likely be the people that did not connect with the Cooper & Murphy characters in Act 1. This whole sequence is a big giant gamble on how much the audience is personally invested in Cooper saving his daughter because the conceit is rather silly, almost hokey, but again, if you got invested in those characters in Act 1 or during those video messages in Act 2, you’re on board here.

And some people may call the ending saccharine or “Hollywood,” but I found it to be neither. It’s a hopeful ending to a hopeful movie. Interstellar, as Nolan hit us over the head with in repeating Dylan Thomas’ classic poem “Do not go gentle in to that good night” throughout the film, is about love and survival and the film’s final moments summed that up perfectly.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
look at this badass over here