Hondo's Bar

Day of the tentacle HD

Newtype

Tim Schafer, founder of developer Double Fine, announced Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle Special Edition for PS4 and Vita. The game will release at an unspecified date alongside PC, Mac, and Linux.

Day of the Tentacle, also known as Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle, is a 1993 graphic adventure game developed and published by LucasArts. It is the sequel to the 1987 game Maniac Mansion. The game's plot follows Bernard Bernoulli and his friends Hoagie and Laverne as they attempt to stop the evil Purple Tentacle—a sentient, disembodied tentacle—from taking over the world. The player takes control of the three and solves puzzles while using time travel to explore different periods of history.

mzg5ibdx9viigbfz5s9s.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I can't wait for this game to come out! I couldn't believe they were going to remake the first Monkey Island game. They did such a good job. They topped themselves with the sequel. Oh, man! They did it right: absolutely faithful and respectful. The ability to switch between old and new graphics at the push of a button? Awesome. They need to remake Full Throttle and Zak McKracken next!

yeah, as you said, the ability to play monkey island HD or classic on the fly was just so cool, loved that

They need to remake Full Throttle and Zak McKracken next!

having never played either (but heard great things/love SCUMM games) i am so down for either of these

• 6 months later...

Taking their time w/ this one. But, it lives...

Forgot to add this in my Post: A complete version of Maniac Mansion was playable by using the PC in Weird Ed's bedroom in the original Day of the Tentacle.

Hoping that keep that in the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-23-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-debuts-screenshots

This restoration will feature all new hand-drawn, high-res artwork along with remastered audio, music and sound effects.

There will also be a commentary track by the game's original creators: Tim Schafer, Dave Grossman, Larry Ahern, Peter Chan, Peter McConnell and Clint Bajakian.

As was the case with the Special Editions of Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle Remastered will allow you to toggle between the new and old artwork at the touch of a button. It will also feature an optional new UI should you want to play with a verb dial rather than a grid of commands at the bottom of the screen.

Just like the original Day of the Tentacle, this restoration will contain the entirety of Maniac Mansion as an in-game bonus.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered is due in "early 2016" on PS4, Vita, PC and Mac. The PlayStation versions will offer Cross-Buy support.

Ooooh, yeeeeah! Ugh - only on PC and PS4...nooooooo...weep.gif

crying-teen-girl.jpg

LOL - fuck!

Hellz, yeah - throw some Grim Fandango in there n' that'd be the shizee.

Yeah - if I had to pick one or the other (next gen) - it'd be a PS4. RE HD, Kingdom Hearts HD, Grim Fandango, Abe's Oddysee - New n' Tasty...FFVII...

I'm gonna wait for details on the NUX - I gotta feeling it's coming out this year. Of course, I'm gettin' it. If Nintendo's smart, they'll be positioning themselves in a 'back-in-the-game' position w/ some legit next-gen 3rd party ports. If not, I'll be shooting for a PS4 - as my 'best of both worlds' 'other' console.

Hopefully by then, the PS4 would've had a nice price-cut. (sigh) Until then...

raphael-o.gif

DAAAYUUUM!!! - LOL, it's gonna be a helluva wait. Freakin' Nintendo - what happened?

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

http://www.shacknews.com/article/91888/maniac-mansion-will-still-be-playable-in-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered

Speaking to Shacknews at IndieCade, Double Fine VP of Development Matt Hansen made sure to point out that the full Maniac Mansion game is indeed fully intact within Day of the Tentacle Remastered. For those that played the original Day of the Tentacle, it's in the exact same spot as it was before. Is Maniac Mansion itself fully remastered? Unfortunately, no, it's just as it was, but fans of the original game aren't about to quibble with that minor detail, given that it's widely regarded as one of the greatest adventure games of its era.

It would be awesome if Maniac Mansion also got an HD face-life, but I can understand them keeping it PC style. In all honestly, I'm kinda relieved - LOL - but only because I don't think I could handle Maniac Mansion getting an update and not having it Day One - LOL - I'd die! I would literally keel over.

It's so damn cool that there are other Point n' Click / SCUMM fans in here. None of my friends were into it growing up - too much reading...same critique was thrown at Zelda, none of my buds were into that either...too much reading - so, you can imagine. I was a very early Nintendo Power subscriber back in the day - I first played it on the NES, knowing it was a PC port from the mag. It struck such a cord w/ me - it's been my fav video game ever since.

2362029-nes_maniacmansion.jpg

As soon as I got a PC w/ internet in the mid-90s, first thing I started researching n' hunting for were games! Learned about ROMS n' the like and quickly got me hands on MM. A very different experience w/ a mouse - LOL. I discovered SCUMM's library and ate 'em all up. I ended up ordering the LucasArts Classic Adventures.

ULTRA-RARE-LucasArts-Classic-Adventures-1992-5.25-disk-version-SEALED.jpg

(Opens box) 7 floppy disks to install Maniac Mansion!

The CD-ROM talkie-versions of DOTT, Sam n' Max, Monkey Island 2 n' Full Throttle - were interactive cartoons. Bliss back in the day. LOL - I thought CD-ROMs were the ultimate format - I'd buy 'em as soon as I saw 'em on the shelf. I got Star Wars: Behind the Magic, Episode 1: Insider's Guide, Simpsons Virtual Springfield, Simpsons Cartoon Studio...

I love the genre - I also have a store-bought copy of the little-talked about Toonstruck. Roger Rabbit / Cool World w/ Christopher Lloyd.

91aAelxeJvL._SL1500_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

354_3.jpg

N6myJ.jpg

So, yeah - how / when did y'all first get exposed to SCUMM?

wooow, never even seen that Toonstruck one before!

for me, it was a friend renting Maniac Mansion on NES in the day, then Panch's dad's PC having Secret of Monkey Island on it (not quite SCUMM i wanna say? but reinforced my love of point & click). i couldn't find the latter game for my Sega-CD at the time, but settled for Adventures of Willie Beamish!

few years later, i'd get myself a PC in college and jump on the demo for Grim Fandango & a SCUMM emulator, got to try out (but not finish!) Indy & the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max (thanks newt!), and a little bit of Full Throttle...honestly ill likely go play more of em later but at this point i'm always waiting to see which ones get the HD treatment!

• 2 months later...

Nearly played through in one sitting the day it dropped. Its incredible how much of this game is hardwired into my memory. Brought back sooo many memories too. It's one of those remakes (I described Rebuild of Evangelion 1 the same way) where they somehow tap into the collective unconcious of what every one REMEMBERS the game looked like, and brought that to life somehow. The audio is particularly impressive, as the music and dialog switches when you toggle between remake and original. Man, that dialog literally POPPED back in the day, the compression was soo bad. Considering that this was the first 'talkie', the performances were away ahead of their time!