Hondo's Bar

R.I.P. 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

The NZA

TMZ: Former Wrestler 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Dead at 61

rowdy-roddy-piper-i-change-the-questions.jpg

Wrestling legend Roddy Piper has died at the age of 61 .. TMZ Sports has learned.

Piper -- born Roderick George Toombs -- passed away from natural causes at a home in Hollywood.

Piper was a wrestling icon -- one of the biggest stars in the WWE back in the '80s.

Piper had been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2006 ... but last November he said he was cancer free.

Roddy was admitted into the WWE Hall of Fame back in 2005 ... and was one of the top 50- villains in the history of the WWE.

RIP - yeah, a wrestling icon - but an 80s icon, as well.

You entertained me, thoroughly. Your intensity was something to behold. Never forget your Super Mario Bros Super Show guest spot and your bit in Cyndi Lauper's Good Enough music video. You were hilarious. Farewell, maniac.

OH! And who can forget THEY LIVE! Gonna watch it right now! "Put the glasses ON!" LOL

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

I'm a sad to hear about Piper's death. Before I hit puberty (at which point I got into the world of Magic the Gathering and D&D with even cooler kids than WWF fans), I enjoyed watching wrestling and Roddy was entertaining.

The sad thing is that people that participate in wrestling (the fake kind) typically end up losing a significant portion of their life span. If you go through the list of wrestlers that died before 50, the list is long.

I'm not sure which is worse for a person's health, wrestling or football.

• 1 month later...