Hondo's Bar

Fox Near Deal for 'X-Men' Live-Action Series

source

Fox is inching closer to a live-action X-Men series.

"[For] X-Men, we're in negotiations with Marvel. We're hopeful we'll be able to announce something soon. We're not closed on a deal yet but it's something we're definitely pursuing," Fox Television Group chairman and CEO Dana Walden told THR on Thursday at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour stop.

Fox studio counterpart 20th Century Fox owns the rights to the film franchise (with seven features already released based on X-Men characters and Gambit with Channing Tatum in the pipeline). While conversations to bring the franchise to the small screen are underway, sources indicate a deal is far from complete, with Marvel — which owns the comic rights — still having to sign off on the deal. The comic book powerhouse is based at Disney, with ABC shows including Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter on the network and five upcoming straight-to-series programs in the works there. Marvel would have to sign off on the deal.

"The characters from the X-Men franchise are with Fox on the feature side so we won't be including Marvel characters that are at ABC with Disney," Walden said of how the deal with Marvel will be structured. "This will be exclusively the franchise as it has existed at Fox."

tumblr_lm7dbgcGHX1qdktsho1_1280.jpg

GenX.jpg

JlzPdIQ.jpg

mutant-x-517cf870df6c2.png

I actually caught the one and only airing of that Generation X live-action movie. Still got my Wizard issue hyping the hell out of that thing.

If they actually do a tv series - I'm still dying to see a live-action version of the original roster...together and kicking ass.

x-men-1-comic-cover-pic-1.jpg

I gotta feeling they'll just try to replicate the 90s cartoon. Either way, I just hope it ain't another superhero soap opera tv show. Eh, it'll probably be just that, now that I think about it. Teen angst.