Hondo's Bar

R.I.P. Gametrailers.com

Keth

Link

Editor-in-Chief Brandon Jones and Associate Editor Ben Moore.

The website continued to publish new content up until word of its closure broke earlier today, as Moore notes employees were only informed they "would be let go ... mere hours ago."

GameTrailers was founded in 2002 and helped pioneer the internet video space, predating competitors like YouTube and Twitch. While those same competitors likely contributed to the site's demise, GameTrailers went out on a high note, saying "We’re proud we helped bring this world into being. That is the legacy of GameTrailers. We're grateful to all of our fans who helped make us successful. Thank you for your continued support over the years. It has been an adventure."

Defy Media acquired GameTrailers in 2014 and began laying off employees just days later. The company hit the site (along with The Escapist and Game Front) with more layoffs early last year.

GameTrailers [Facebook, Twitter]

Facebook quote:

After 13 years, GameTrailers is closing down today.

When GameTrailers was founded in 2002, internet video was a revolutionary concept. YouTube wouldn’t be founded for another three years; consumer live streaming was nine years away. Back then, online game journalism was still dominated by text articles and static imagery. The most prestigious coverage still happened in print. If you wanted to watch a show about video games, you had to watch it on a special TV station that had 10 shows.

GameTrailers helped change all that. Today, game journalism is dominated by video: trailers, live gameplay, Let’s Plays, and news shows. Now there are millions of hours of content available at any time on your PC, your game console, your TV, and your phone.

We’re proud we helped bring this world into being. That is the legacy of GameTrailers. We're grateful to all of our fans who helped make us successful. Thank you for your continued support over the years. It has been an adventure.

Kinda sucks, I thought they had some of the better reviews, even if I didn't always agree. Still though, from what I've read this isn't really a big surprise.

Edited by Axels