Hondo's Bar

Fighting Tournaments

The NZA

Don't know who here'd be interested, but fighting game touneys - formerly only a japanese thing - have more & more been comin stateside these days.

Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur - any of the popular ones usually have some small battles in the larger cities. Prizes can get pretty high, especially back in Japan.

Just thought I'd link to one of the more popular sites about classic Steet Fighter tounaments.

ShoRyuKen.com

sbo.gif

Badass! I always wanted more of that stuff to make it stateside! It gives a more posative spin on Gaming in general and offers prizes and fame to kids that don't excel in other areas.

Anyone else remember the Tourney's that Blockbuster used to have? Timed contests on Genesis and Snes with special cartriges and PRizes based on how well you did ranging from Promo packets from the game companies and free rentals to cash prizes?

Ah.. the good old days...

I remember hearing bout those, not sure what games they competed in but it sounded fun. As i recall, it wasnt just fighting games, but also 1-player ones with a time on getting the best high score.

I also remember the first big Japan Street Fighter tourney being won by a guy who used Dhalsim, and thinkin ..."How?".

Yeah that was a helluva upset. Even Zangeif (the second least used character) had some badass powermoves you could learn and have a chance with. Dhaslim just was flat out hard to use well. you need to fight patiently and exploit mistakes. Would have loved to have seen that fight.

I still remember going to Bird Bowl w/ Julio and playing in the tournament for Killer Instinct. Back when the N64 was coming out & I thought it was the best shit since sliced bread.

I think I still have the cap somewhere. Won 1 round against some punk kid who had me against the ropes for the duration of the fight. Beat him w/ the Godzilla lizard thing. That tournament was fun as hell & well organized for a local event.

Since were smack-talking fighting games....

Mr Spiffytee: When Soul Calibur 2 comes out for Gamecube (soon) i hope youre in this neck of the woods so that i might educate that ass with Mitsurugi, show those ho's Taki & Ivy why they oughta know their role. :wasabi:

Sorry for my Pootie Tang expressions, if you haven't caught that horrible movie on HBO by now, dont' worry, you're not missing anything.

I miss KI & fighting tournaments. Nowadays everyone's moved on to gay games like DDR. What ever happened to the old testosterone flinging days of old? Where true digital gladiators battled for supremacy so they didn't have to get back in line & pay another 50 cents?

oh yeah? i might just have to skool you again mr IC.

anyway... speaking of fighting tournaments... upcoming game- Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO (Xbox), will have online capabilities. How the hell do they do that?

now, all they gotta do is get that up and running for soul calibur 2 and then i'll have your ass on a platter.

Man, lil girls like Taki & Ivy can only save that ass so much, and you know it...you think your girls can hang with Mitsurugi and Link...?

Finally, a fighting game's goin online, woo hoo! Ive been waitin on that shit since Street Fighter II. That's what itll take to get consoles interested in online play...but Yahven's made the comment that even fancy 2-D fighters like this better be on DSL to keep up with the aciton, lag-free...im gonna be really interested to see how this one holds up, along wiht Resident Evil Online.

• 2 weeks later...