Hondo's Bar

Panzer Dragoon Orta

spiffytee

Panzer Dragoon Orta is filled with style and substance, making it a must-play if not a must-have.

For good measure, Panzer Dragoon Orta is filled to the brim with extra features, including a full-on port of the original 1995 Panzer Dragoon game, which, though it doesn't look nearly as good now as it did in its day, is still a lot of fun, boasts a timelessly great orchestral soundtrack, and is well worth playing today. Other extra features include stand-alone scenarios that will test your shooting skills to the fullest, as well as a surprising seven-mission side story from the perspective of an imperial boy in military training. You'll even get to unlock additional playable characters, plus tons of artwork and a virtual encyclopedia about the Panzer Dragoon world. All this should add up to at least 20 hours of gameplay, which is a lot for a single-player shooter.

Hah...tried tellin you bout this one.

The reason pervious installments are so much is their limited quanitity: Im still tryin to play a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga - it went from the series' shooting roots and did a multi-disc RPG, one of the first to be all voice-over without text. Its supposed to be incredible.

Dragoon 1 & Zwei were known for being incredible shooters tho, ive heard nothin bout good bout Orta...lemme know how it goes Spiffy.

PS I really, really hope they re-release Saga one day... ???

just played a little of it the other day. unlike halo, the learning curve in this game is almost nill. you could pretty much pick up the controller and go at it. this game has a stunning sense of being there, because the perspective is constantly changing. from what i know, there are 2 basic buttons. the general flight path is drawn out. so simple, how is that any good? it's kind of like you're really flying with orta. anyway, it's based on simplicity. more as it comes.

• 3 weeks later...

this game is becoming increasingly difficult very quickly. the graphics are too much to handle, i find myself getting killed cause i'm paying more attention to the scenery than the projectiles killing me. that's ok, it's hard on normal and i'm gonna repeat the stage a few times anyway.

here's the lowdown - you have light seekers (homing missle-esq thingys) and normal fire. The normal fire shots down projectiles, which are quite common, however there are energy shots that have to be dodged to be avoided. The light seekers require you to hold down the fire button to attain a "lock on" and release to fire. Two more buttons control speed bursts. One slowing down and one speeding up. Usually, these are done just to avoid projectiles, but the speed up can be used as a ramming attack. After destroying a number of enemies, your beserk meter increases till you get a berserk attack. Depending on your "dragon form" your berserk attack is different. There are 3 dragon forms, which you can change into in midair. Base, glide, and heavy form. Base is the best all-rounder. Glide increases the times you can speed burst, increases your manuverability, and gives you a big fireing reticle, but takes away the light seekers. Heavy gives you heavy hitting light seekers and firing, but takes away manuverablity and speed bursts.

Basically, there are a ton of enemies and bosses attacking and you gotta figure the best plan of counterattack. Sounds simple, right? Not really. Things happen so fast, it's hard to change forms quickly. I'm getting the hang of it, but i don't get to use the speed burst effectively yet. more as it comes...

Im really glad to hear youre diggin that one, ive heard good things on the controls too i believe...

Sega's announced another (different) Panzer Dragoon title in the works, presumably for PS2 or gamecube....please please please let it be an RPG.

Nothin against all Tim has to say on the shooter, it looks dead gorgeous and id love to play it, but i still wanna play Saga...

• 2 weeks later...

game's supposed to be short... if it weren't hard as hell... i'm on the final boss. that's right final boss. (the title of the stage is called last stage.) it's so hard that i had to go online for help. then the solution is something that a gamer would pull out of his ass. no normal person would have figured. oh well... as for the game, i'll tinker with it again... it's a good thing it isn't too long, otherwise i wouldn't try to do better. there's much to do, like tinker with the extras and try different flight paths.

• 6 years later...