Hondo's Bar

Sorry To Bother You

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the trailer for this earlier today and was very intrigued. I started watching some youtube vids of interviews from when it debuted at Sundance and Lakeith was channeling Darius--either that or Darius is base don Lakeith. Anyway, this film is written and directed by Boots Riley from The Coup, has Valkyrie, Glenn from TWD, Terry Crewes, and the Lone Ranger. How could you not want to see this movie!?!

• 3 months later...

it's been too long since i saw a good subversive comedy, so i dug this - fair warning though, act III takes an...interesting direction.  i went with it, think it threw donny off.  you're signing up for a weird movie here, if the trailers didn't indicate that. 

There’s weird...and then there’s this. That was...something. I give it big props for being different than what we’ve gotten used to. It was very was creative and funny. But it also goes on too long and throws itself off a cliff in that third act.

It was just interesting enough for me to be excited and curious about where this director will go from here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Donatella said:

There’s weird...and then there’s this. That was...something. I give it big props for being different than what we’ve gotten used to. It was very was creative and funny. But it also goes on too long and throws itself off a cliff in that third act.

It was just interesting enough for me to be excited and curious about where this director will go from here. 

Yeah, the third act, and especially the ending were disappointing for me. But overall I liked the film's humor and message.

I didn't mind the horse-mutant "twist" so much as I did the end result, or lack of end result with it. I felt like Boots Riley was going for satire for the first two acts then he went FULL Aronofsky (

Mother) there in the third act and tried to circle back to satire at the end. It was an uneven and unsatisfying ending for me.