Hondo's Bar

Cooking & baking shows

The NZA

just posted this one on donnys FB but realized we needed a thread for these shows here too (i have seen so many since living with her, haha)

Why Americans love the Great British Bake Off

As the LA Times once wrote: "Contestants never say things like 'I didn't come here to make friends.' There are no irritating product placements and - perhaps most incomprehensibly to American audiences - no material riches to be won."

Incredulously, it continued: "That's right: The winner of The Great British Baking Show wins a title and an engraved cake stand, and that's it."

Stodgy is bad, scrummy is good, gutted is bad. Cling film is plastic wrap, caster sugar is superfine sugar, icing sugar is powdered sugar, corn flour is cornstarch. Pudding is dessert, custard is pudding, proving is proofing, plaiting is braiding — but it is pronounced “PLATT-ing.” Biscuits are cookies. Scones are biscuits, but they are pronounced “skonns.” Baps are bread rolls, but also breasts. Sultanas are raisins. Bake is a noun. Soon you will have picked up a whole new language, mate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/arts/television/the-great-british-baking-show-guide.html

J2idkVn.png

If I'm going to watch a reality competition show, I prefer it be something where contestants show off an actual skill and I can learn something! I have learned so much from the Great British Baking Show! I've been exposed to foods from countries I've never been to and techniques I never knew existed! It's subtly funny and super low-stakes. I wish I wasn't currently out of episodes to watch.

Gordon Ramsey is a tool but I will watch Master Chef because it's the least mean of all his American shows and I learn a lot from it too. 

Also your spoiler tagged image was funny till the rape joke. I have much less tolerance for that shit lately.

• Like 1

Its the Great British Bake Off.... 😶

For real though, I fucking love Bake Off/Show. As you said, I've learned stuff from that from baking techniques to flavour combinations (some what and what don't work).

I love anything that Gordon Ramsay does as while he comes across like an angry cunt, its out of passion of wanting places to not sell absolute swill to people. His work on Junior Masterchef is adorable and something I can no longer watch with my Fiancee as it harms her ovaries with cuteness.

I can get behind the niceness of the show. Cutthroat Kitchen, Hell's Kitchen, and other shows of that ilk bother me. You don't have to be a dick to compete. That's why I like Chopped. The chefs on there are usually fairly nice to each other, even going so far as to lend ingredients, share equipment, and take competitors' things off the stove so they don't burn. They let their skills speak.

• Like 1

I enjoy it. It's nice to see what kind of ingredients they can throw at you. Not to mention, I learn about all kinds of things that were edible that I never even dreamed of, like sea beans! I wouldn't recommend binging it though. I have a fairly good attention span, but after two or three episodes, I get a bit numb and fast forwarding thru everything except basket ingredient reveals and the dish reveals.

• 1 year later...

I love the Christmas bake off! I've actually gotten into baking from scratch, it calming for me. I make all sorts of cakes and cookies and I sometimes infuse them 😉

I like how creative the bakers are and sometimes I get inspired by them and their ingredients. I learned to make something called a humming bird cake and my husband loves it.