Hondo's Bar

Stardew Valley

The NZA

right, so while i usually duck past harvest moon, a few years without animal crossing got to me, and i got a switch key for $5, so...75 hours later, and i'm at the end of year 2 with a fully upgraded house, a wife, a mess of a farm and an almost finished community center

help me out stills/others who play this madness

I mean, what do you really need help with other than "What do?" - I know you've been checkin' out the wiki and such. 

I guess my best piece of advice would be to check out https://stardew.info/ and plan out your farm accordingly. Once you finish the community center, you can start buying / building little junimo huts and they'll do most of your harvesting for you.

Look into a layout that's optimized for iridium sprinklers. Kinda have a grid that goes like (Sprin is the iridium sprinkler):

Crop  Crop  Crop  Crop  Crop

Crop  Crop  Sprin Crop  Crop

And modify that for the lesser sprinklers. I'll generally overlap sections and drop a scarecrow where the sprinkler goes every 3 iterations of the pattern. The above planner will actually show you the range of the scarecrows and sprinklers so you can actually plan that shit out. If I'm going for a larger layout, I'll split my farm into two large chunks: One for a seasonal cash crop (pumpkins, etc.) that have a chance to generate giant crops, and then the other for multi-seasonal crops (wheat, coffee, etc.). 

My money makers are wine and coffee. Score some starfruit seeds or ancient seeds and plant them in the greenhouse whenever you get that going. Get a seed maker and dump the first few harvests into there to get more seeds outta them and then keep that going. Follow a similar gridlike structure as the one above. Starfruit have a higher price, but the Ancient Fruit will keep fruiting every seven days or so forever. Take these, make wine, and put them into casks and LET THEM SIT in there until they're iridium quality. They'll sell for 3300g a pop (4620g if you've got the artisan perk).

Speaking of casks - get the basement, and fill the fucker with them. Optimal basement layout for switch controller here.

Personally, I only mess with the animals for the community center challenges. They're too much upkeep for too little reward after that, in my opinion. Make sure, if you have them, that you pet and feed the little fuckers every day. Let them out in the morning during the warmer months (and close their door at night), and get a warmer for them for winter. Build a fence around their barn / coop and plant grass there to keep them happy. Usually a pattern like this is sufficient (F for fence - B for barn):

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

F                                    BBBBB               F

F                                    BBBBB               F

F                                                               F

F                                                               F

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Not to scale. You get the idea, though. Give them some leg room, but keep them in. I'm not sure if they'll screw with your crops otherwise, but don't risk it.

I can't think of anything else. If you go down into the mines, upgrade your backpack and take a bunch of food to keep your health and energy up. Save those geodes and then take a shit ton of them to Clint and make that creep work for his money. Same amethyst for Abby.

Oh, about Abby's gem fetish. You'll save your time (and marriage) if you invest in a Cystalarium and have it just make them. I think you get one during some of the community center stuff.

Alright, there's my write-up. So much of this is just trial and error and planning and what works best for me. YMMV. Have fun!

Edited by Stilly
Fixed a few things
  • Thanks 1
  • Problematic ™ 1

yeah, I'm focusing on animals too much in year 2 (waited till past the first winter to get em) but i harverst so little hay, I'm buying it all

sumb question but since i have them partitioned off now, can i grow grass or something else they can ear besides constantly buying hay for the silo?

also ima finish the community center and prolly chill for a while, the desert dungeon is neat (and helping me fill out the museum when it's not kicking my ass) but there's not a lot left for me to do but uh, save up for catalogs? upgrade tools to iridium after using enough for sprinklers?

19 hours ago, The NZA said:

sumb question but since i have them partitioned off now, can i grow grass or something else they can ear besides constantly buying hay for the silo?

Build a Silo - harvest grass with the scythe. TADA YOU'VE GOT HAY. At this point, the barns and whatnot should start autofeeding the animals each morning. Forgot about that part.

19 hours ago, The NZA said:

also ima finish the community center and prolly chill for a while, the desert dungeon is neat (and helping me fill out the museum when it's not kicking my ass) but there's not a lot left for me to do but uh, save up for catalogs? upgrade tools to iridium after using enough for sprinklers?

I mean, that's the endgame, basically. Minmax the whole thing, and try to make the most efficient farm. Do all the friendship stuff. There's still the 

Spoiler

witch, and all that stuff that I don't think you've found yet. Plus a bunch of endgame content was added with the multiplayer update, so I don't think you've got to that point yet.

There's still a bunch of stuff left to do - but I have the most fun minmaxing the shit outta my farm.