Hondo's Bar

Why Some Cuisines Are More Expensive Than Others

The NZA

Atlantic (2016)

d4e30059a.jpg

d03ed9702.jpg

To great effect, he draws on data from Zagat, whose reviewers collect check prices for meals at the restaurants it lists (which tend to range from middlebrow to the lower end of high-end); in New York in 2015, the average check at a Zagat-listed Japanese restaurant for a meal for one (including a glass of wine and a tip) was $68.94, while the average price for the same thing at Zagat-listed Chinese restaurants was $35.76.
In 1985, the earliest year for which Zagat data is available, Japanese food had the sixth-highest average check price in New York. Last year, it ranked first. During that time, Greek and Korean have also seen their lots improve, while Chinese has remained at the lower end of the check-price spectrum, along with Thai, Indian, and Mexican.

The history of Italian cuisine:

How German used to be the crown "foreign" food:

I can understand specifically for Japanese food where freshness and quality of fish is imperative.

I'm always surprised that North African/Middle Eastern/Indian food is so reasonable considering the price of some of the spices and ingredients used. Saffron's a bitch yo.

As for french food, maybe butter's pricy in the states?

On 11/19/2019 at 2:09 AM, the division of joy said:

I can understand specifically for Japanese food where freshness and quality of fish is imperative.

I'm always surprised that North African/Middle Eastern/Indian food is so reasonable considering the price of some of the spices and ingredients used. Saffron's a bitch yo.

As for french food, maybe butter's pricy in the states?

Down here in NOLA the most expensive (and arguably famous) restaurants are generally French-based. Therefore anyone trying to be "fancy" tries to imitate them--usually by pouring way too much remoulade or other creme based sauce over some form of fish or meat. But if I'm paying $60+ for a meal down here then it's a giant-ass steak with heart-cloggingly large side dishes. 

But honestly, that "Southern" category is my jam. And that price point is fairly accurate. However, if I pay $30+ for a fried seafood meal I'm definitely leaving full and with another meal in a container, so it's more likely a meal for two.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin