Hondo's Bar

Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales Of The Macabre Announced | Horror Anthology Series Adapting 20 Of His Stories Hitting Netflix In 2023

The NZA

Junji Ito introduces his upcoming Netflix series, Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre. Get ready as he reveals some of his works getting the anim...

ANN Link

Netflix announced during its Geeked Week livestream on Wednesday that it is developing Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre, a new anime based on horror manga artist Junji Ito's various stories. The anime will debut in 2023, and will include 20 stories from Ito's body of work that will be animated "for the first time." The anime will include stories from Tomie, Sōichi, and The Hanging Balloons manga. Ito introduces the anime and some of the design drawings in the below video, where he also confirms that the anime's production team has not yet decided on which stories from Tomie and Sōichi to adapt.

kAkqcF3liexQZiPC-OAdM8s9z1hWOIWtr-AwqC6tttM.jpg

• Like 1

We had the Junji Ito Collection, which was a little anthology. Lots of folks weren't impressed by it. I thought it was fine, but definitely not the prettiest thing out there.

But Uzumaki? It looks like its gonna be on a whole other level:

If it ever gets released... That update was a year ago.

• Really Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Double-posting, but idc.

I love seeing more of Ito's work getting adapted. Hopefully the Netflix series will be awesome (right up until they cancel it after its third season).

I have a bit of a birthday tradition that I started when I moved from TX to AL. Each year, I go to the 2nd & Charles that's inevitably just down the road (never saw them in TX, but there's literally one just down the road here in CO, too) and get myself a hardcover copy of one of his works. Slowly building up a nice collection.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...