Hondo's Bar

Dreamcatcher

Man, forget everything, they ran out of fucking kitchen sinks while making this movie. I mean, god damn, in what other movie are you gonna find retarded kids and shit aliens? Ok, now don't be fooled by stephen king's name on this thing, it is pure monster movie, mindless, random horror. I'm sure the book was a lot better and made mroe sense, but not only did they adapt a 900 page book into a 2 and a half hour movie but King wrote this in the hospital right after he got hit by a truck... he essentially wrote it on drugs.

Anyways, the story is Stephen King chop suey. Four childhood friends (SHort story: the body, Movie: Stand by me) with psychic powers (the dead zone) reunite as adults to face a big fucked up menace, there's elements of It, the Stand, fuck I wouldn't have been surprised to see a killer car driving around at some point.

So, this is a B-movie. This is a B-movie with great actors (jason lee, tom sizemore, morgan freeman) and a seasoned director (laurence kasdan). Now don't get me wrong, this ain't no masterpeice B-movie or anything, it's just one they threw a whole lotta fuckin money at, and it ends up being pretty fun. Really fucking stupid, but worth the watch I think.

A few legitimate complaints tho. I'm sure this worked fine in the 900 page novel, but the characters in the movie have too many catch phrases that are inside jokes in their group. For example, if I heard a character use the expression "fuck me freddy" when they were surprised one more time, I would have exploded. I'm sure this little bit of slang added character to the 900 page book, but in the movie they're fuckin annoying.

So, I can't really criticize this one much cause I thought it was fun. STupid ass "I wonder what random shit is gonna happen next" kind of fun, but fun nonetheless. But there were some good scares here and there, the monsters were ok, it was well shot, and there were some cool ideas in there. Just dont go in there expecting a legitimately good movie, cause you sure as hell ain't gonna get one, but you'll have fun.

Auuuuggghhh! Don't eat the crap Duditz!

I went to see this the other day but didn't get to watch the end because I had to run out for an apointment :( . I thought it was alright (at least the bits I saw). I hadn't a fucking clue what it was about so I wasn't expecting the aliens.

There was some cool cast members in there alright - Lee, Sizemore, Freeman as you said, and I also like Tim Olyphant (just because of Todd Gaines in "Go"). I wouldn't mind watching it again so I could see the end but do ya reckon I should go to the movies or wait for video? Is it worth going for the ending?

I posted about the animatrix in the animatrix thread, it was pretty amazing stuff.

As far as the ending goes, I don't know if it's worth paying admission again and seeing the whole thing again, but if you liked the movie so far, the ending is more randomness, more gore, more special effects. I definately think this is a theater movie in general... I dont know if it woulda been as fun on a small screen with worse sound.

I'm in the opposite side here having read the ook but not yet seen the movie.

The book was pretty average by King's standard and had a lot of parrallels with Tommyknockers I thought. Not in any rush to see the film altho the shitting aliens is one of the coolest parts in the book certainly.

Junker, as for the catchphrases the one that was used hugely in the book was "No Bounce No Play" (which I considered very deep and meaningful :D ). Did that one feature at all?

Ooooh, they sure as fucking hell did. No real explanation for it though, they just used it a whole goddamned lot, along with bite my back or something and a few more. And the military guys like to do it fast and hard and all that... every other sentance was one of these things....

Been racking my brain to try and remmber where the 'No Bounce No Play' phrase came from. I believe it was just from a sign implying No Ball Games, maybe when they went to the warehouse where there was that naked girlie picture (don't know if this was in the film!?!) but I remember them using it when trapped in a room with the alien outside trying to outsmart eachother. Wider implication being to do with competetiveness or something. Might look it up, still have the book...