Hondo's Bar

Metropolis

Reverend Jax

metropolis.jpg

Metropolis is the adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's (Astro Boy) classic comic book, now ovr 50 years old. While the movie keep the same Tezuka character design style (short big eyed people, not unsimilar to early Warner Brothers or Disney cartoons), the animation is incredible. Everything moves very smoothly and the background seemlessly (and sometimes a little less seemlessly) blend CGI with cel animation to always show a very busy living city

Besides the animation, I really loved the music. It wasn't until later on the special features disc that I found out that they play the same theme over and over, with different instruments and arrangements. There's a very New Orleans jazz feel to the soundtrack, which works really well with all the over-developed technology, probably do to the juxtaposition (similar to how it works with Cowboy Bebop).

The story is really good too. It reminded me of the Animatrix short "The Second Renaissance Part 1" for those of you who've seen it, in the whole robots getting no respect and in fact beign resented and several of them revolting. Lots of great characters, and good fun. The movie just turns out to be nothing like what you expect it to be if you go in knowing nothing about it.

metropolis.jpgmetropolis05.jpgmetropolis04.jpg

Some of anime's top names have been tied into this one in one form or another...Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and to some degree even Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed) have been said to have hands in the design, tho im not sure they both have. Many anime stars mention this one, ive been lookin to see it for a while now...glad to hear it delieverd on the hype; off to see if kazaa has it.