Hondo's Bar

Ultimate DC UNIVERSE

Piggylover69

ok so recently marvel has been kicking dc's ass comic wise... i know DC makes a shit load off of merchantdising and stuff...but i thought it would be fun to creat an "ultimate universe" for DC to combat the whoopass marvel is currently handing out to them.

so what ideas would you relish to place in the universe....

i think miller and moore have done some good work with kingdom come and darknight returns perhaps come thing in a similar vain would be neat....

also what about reconsiling the vertigo universe with the regular universe...are they seperate? should they be joined.

perhaps joker should be featured in batmans origins?

what ideas do u guys have?

Cool topic.

i think miller and moore have done some good work with kingdom come

No one gives Mark Waid any credit for his own works... ???

also what about reconsiling the vertigo universe with the regular universe...are they seperate? should they be joined.

No...you dont want to see Plastic Man or Blue Beetle in Transmet, Preacher, Sandman etc any more than i do. Theyre good with Constantine.

The closest thing going....is Jim Lee & Jeph Loeb's Batman by far. Cuts down to the essentials, new touch-ups on classic & easily recognizable villians, while still adding new ones. It's been amazin so far, good luck on gettin the recent "Hush" arc outside of trade, as it sold like crazy, and with good reason: watch Bats take down Killer Croc, Joker, and even Superman (!), and thats before the detective skills figure out who's really behind it..

More on that book in this thread.

Anyway, I'm waitin on Superman, Green Lantern, etc to get that kinda treatment, but all the revamps so far are still workin with the same horrible villian casts. Ed Mcguiness, Jeph Loeb, Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets) etc are signed on to work with some of these guys, but lets be honest: even the best screenwriters & actors cant save a bad plot. If anything, Marvel's Ultimate line shows me why, with the new era of comics were in, there's no excuse you cant get one good book - or at least arc - out of your flagship characters.

No one gives Mark Waid any credit for his own works... ???

Good to know I'm not the only one to notice that. Has anyone ever read The Kingdom, the sequel to Kingdom Come? I flipped through it and got bored as soon as I saw it had nothing to do with Alex Ross. Didn't even check to see if Waid wrote it or not.

Sad to say, I used to be a big DC fan, but I don't read 'em anymore. And yeah, I think one of the problems is with the villains. Each character has maybe one or two (if they're lucky) interesting villains, but they're usually under-used. Supes has Lex Luthor. I dunno if he's done anything recently. Bats has the Joker who is rarely around. And maybe Two-Face if he has a good writer. Why do superheroes even need supervillains in every comic, anyway? Can't a superpowered hero like Superman go fight some reallife problems for a change? Why don't they send him over to Iraq and look for weapons of mass destruction? Maybe have him scan the globe for Osama Bin Laden, that could be fun. Wait, yes, that's why DC is sucking! Because DC is so wrapped up in its own separate universe, whereas Marvel makes characters that live in our world and face problems similar to the ones we face. If they brought a little of that into the DC universe it could be better.

Ugh, The Kingdom...that was ass. What lil i read was forced & horrible. Dark Knight Strikes Again wasnt stellar, but was a whole lot better anyway. Still glad theyve left Watchmen alone.

Ya might have an idea there, Marvel's maturing while DC refuses. And yeah, say with Green Lantern: i think he's a cool charcter, but in the entire universe, he cant have an interestin villian? I know theyre not all Magnetos out there but cmon...

As for Bats, i thought his villian cast was one of his strengths. Supes on the other hand...Jumbie's fond of a few, like the Eradicator or somethin, but lookit how Bendis is on Ultimate Spider-Man: these characters are forced to evolve a bit. He did the Venom saga without even going into space, and it was cool as fuck. No one's even trying that in the DC universe from what i see, aside from Jim Lee & Jeph Loeb's current book.

Although, i was happy to hear: after their 1 year tenure on the book runs out, during their hiatus, the eisner-award winning team behind 100 Bullets is takin over for a stint..that should be really cool.

No, Watchmen should never be touched again...unless Terry Gilliam still wants to make a movie version, because that could be good.

Ok, you're right, IC, Batman does have some great villains, but from what I used to read, they never used the good villains anymore. I haven't gotten a chance to read any of Jim Lee's, yet, so I dunno, about that. But all the ones I've read in recent times have invented newer crappier villains, while great meaty villains like the Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze and such are left to cameos, or saved for trade specials. If they went through and did a long Joker vs. Batman storyline with the importance of some of the ones from the past like, say, The Killing Joke, it could really make Batman history.

I think one of DC's biggest problems now is that it's too afraid to mess with its legends. Both Marvel and DC messed with their legendary characters too much, years ago. It gave us everything from pretty good (Knightfall/Knight's End), somewhat interesting (The Death of Superman), crappy (The Clone Saga), and downright exploitave (Marvel Vs. DC). Marvel learned from these mistakes, and now they seem to generally know just how much to mess with their main characters - nothing so outrageous or absurd that it's obvious it's being done simply to "move the character in a new direction" (a good example would be the "outing" of Daredevil a while back - character-changing, but not unrealistic). DC, however, seems to have done the opposite. They've decided not to mess with their formulas at all anymore, and so most all of their characters remain the same issue after issue, fighting forgetful battles, and never progressing. I just don't understand how a graphic novel like Kingdom Come or The Dark Knight Returns can show so much of a realistic character arch in a few issues, while an entire series can show a character never changing for years.

• 3 years later...

Archived