Hondo's Bar

Stopping AIM popus!

The NZA

Found this on a site, tried it out & its worked like a charm since, give it a go if youre tired of the annoying cruise ads or whatever they are.

1. Go to your AIM directory (c:\program files\aim95\) or wherever you installed AIM to.

2. Delete the file "advert.ocm".

3. Rename the file "admin.ocm" to "advert.ocm".

4. DONE

"nonsense"? Im tryin to stop the popup windows the newer versions of AIM give you...

Incidentally, it failed last night one time and i got an add or two...i'm gonna try it again tho, seemed to work for a bit. I hate those stupid ads.

The pop-ups totally piss me off, too. :D I'm not sure how that crap works, but doesn't anybody know a good programmer or something of the sort that knows how that crap works?? It's weird, becuz while I was up in TN this summer, I was receiving a shitload of popups that were difficult as hell to eliminate if you left your computer online for a while. At first I thought it was MSN messenger, but my friend was getting them too and she didn't use that. So, I guess it was AIM. But then it suddenly stopped when I came back to Miami. Maybe it was Comcast services?? :D Oh, well.... stupid pop-ups :shoot:

doesn't anybody know a good programmer or something of the sort that knows how that crap works??

Yeah, i feel ya man. According to what i found from that information above, its a file, called advert.ocm that's causing the popups, which show up sporadically, but i know i see one or two if i go to IM someone else. Id say to outright delete the file, but i think that trick above has you delete it & then replace it so AIM doesnt go looking for a file thats missing and shut itself down, its a good idea.

Ill show ya next time youre over...pretty gay that AIM started doin popups. I know its freeware, but i thought the only ads would be the ones on my buddy window..maybe Yahven is right, maybe Trillian is a good idea (its a program that runs AIM, MSN, ICQ and Yahoo all in one, no popups...)

I see someone found a new gay site since lamer.net isnt hotlinking anymore....fine meester moneybags, but all the $ in the world wont stop the AIM popups when youre gettin rejected by phillipino 12 year olds!

And for what its worth, i dont think this method will, either..im gettin popus again, even after deleting the advert file... ???

Hadnt thought of that; me, i dont really use other chat programs much, barely touch ICQ...

but ya gotta admit, AIM's emoticons are shit. Man, theyre makin the whole thing skinnable & all this, why not give me a smiley that doesnt look like it was made in paint?

Archived