Hondo's Bar

Ghost World

I just saw this yesterday, and I loved it.  I know heartless posted about it before, but that trhead died.  Cool story about a girl that's pretty much just sick of the world and how she deal's with it.  It's style and sense of humor remind me of Wes Anderson's (bottle rocket, rushmore, royal tenenbaums) stuff.  The characters are cool, the writing is funny and just plain good, and it has Steve Buscemi in it, so I suggest you all go pick this one up at blockbuster/netflix whatever.  Only thing I didn't like as much as the rest of the movie was the ending, a bit wanky, especially for all the time the movie takes to make fun of wanky stuff, but it's certainly fitting.  Oh, and it's based on a comic book of the same name, had anybody read it?  I'd love to check it out.

I read the comic after LeakyBucket recommended it (i think it was him, either him or Judge), forthcomin post over in comics section....lemme know if ya wanna borrow it, not sure how faithful movie was but im sure it was close anyway.

Yay! Finally something I can take a bit of credit for in the comic world. It was indeed me IC and it is still my single favourite comic of all time behind Preacher.

Glad you enjoyed the movie Junkerseed. I went to see it on its opening day at a little independent cinema and was quite impressed by the turnout. The movie was indeed fantastic, sticking loosely to the comic although there were a lot of differences. Steve Buscemis character is largely made up for the film, and the art teacher is completely invented. There are parts in the script taken from the comic but its kinda like a second dose, which is really cool.

The comic artist is Daniel Clowes a brilliant realism-based creator who pulishes a bi/tri-annually comic called Eightball, which featured Ghost World before it got published as a seperate comic. If you enjoy it I would next recommend the 3 or 4 issues of Eightball already out featuring the character 'David Boring', another great invention.

Cool, I'll buy the book the minute I see it, I'm kinda glad to hear that the book is a lot different, so I get to read something different from what I saw, two ghost world stories rather than one done in two different ways.  I'll check out other stuff by clowes for sure.

Good to hear Junkerseed.

The movie being a bit different from the comic was definitely the best way to go, a true adaption would not have worked and perhaps taken away some of the magic of the comic.

What was cool though, was that some of the best bits from the comic were kept for the film. Main example I can think of is 'The Satanists'.